Thread: 2 System replacement - Questions from a newbie homeowner

Post Likes

2 System replacement - Questions from a newbie homeowner

Hi,
    New homeowner here looking to replace 2 units, 1st time HVAC customer (feeling a little in over my head). I love to learn and read, Can someone direct me to a new system purchasing checklist or an FAQ's page that I can use to help navigate this process of finding a reputable HVAC company, and how to choose what systems we should be considering. I am thinkning that this is going to be a $-$$ job and I want to do my part to make the right choices in contractor and system for my home (not just take someones word for it). Thank you in advance Guys!

JP
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-10-2013 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Price

Post Likes
    Why do you think it's going to be a $-$$ job? Get at least 3 quotes and ask for references and call the references. Check with the BBB in your locale. Ask the contractors to itemize their quotes and quote labor separately. A lot of contractors will just give you a flat price for the entire job and you really don't know what you are paying for. Are they licensed, insured and bonded? Make them prove it. Do they collect sales tax?
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-10-2013 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Price

Post Likes
    Use the contractors locator map here for starters.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by welling service View Post
    Why do you think it's going to be a $-$$ job? Get at least 3 quotes and ask for references and call the references. Check with the BBB in your locale. Ask the contractors to itemize their quotes and quote labor separately. A lot of contractors will just give you a flat price for the entire job and you really don't know what you are paying for. Are they licensed, insured and bonded? Make them prove it. Do they collect sales tax?
    I've had people ask me to "break down" my quote. I tell them, "What's the point"? I can always fudge the numbers if they think my labor rates are too high. In my bid, I show all the details. All model numbers, size of all the pieces of equipment used, labor, sales taxes, permits, gas piping, electrical wiring and the scope of the job. This should be expected but sadly it's not. My proposals detail more than most HVAC guys in town do, plus our reputation is second to none after 67 years.

The other day I notices a job had been installed without a liner (code requirement here) and I called the lady. She said the quote included a permit. I asked if an inspector had been out or had called? I gave her the inspectors number. Long story, short..........I received a nice note from her thanking me for the "free" chimney liner.

Post Likes
    IF you replacing multiple units, consider the whole energy system of the home. That includes any imrpovements to insulation, air sealing, domestic hot water generation, etc. With equipemnt selction ,the most imrpotant thing after finiding a reputable contractor, is sizing, sizing, sizing. Smaller is better. WIth a few exceptions, the equipment needs ot be jsut larger enough to maintain tmerpature in design conditons, no more. "Design" is only the 1% tmeprature, not the coldest or hotest it will ever get.

FOr example, we exceeded summer design conditions this last year, so my home got 1-2F warmer than setpoint...NBD. But we never came within 8F of winter desing last winter or so far this winter.

Square footage of a home is mostly irrelvant, and the relationship isn't linear anyway. Just because you can cool a particular 1000sqft home with 1.5 tons, doesn't mean a 10,000 sqft home will need 15 tons. IF built well, probably 1/2-2/3 of that. Using square foot is like asking direction to NYC and being told "it's on the east coast". It got you in the ballpark, but it's lacking some important details.

Post Likes
    As #2 said....do your research and call 3 well respected contractors. Then pay close attention as to what they do in your home. Do they measure the home? Do they inspect the ductwork to make sure all the returns are connected and that there are enough. Note: It's not uncommon to have a shortage of returns. Are they sizing the equipment to what is there now or are they recommending smaller equipment? Note: It's not uncommon to have grossly oversized equipment especially with two systems.

Let us know. Hopefully you're not in a big hurry so that you can take your time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in