+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaky Schrader Valve

Post Likes

Leaky Schrader Valve

Hey guys new to the field and was on a job today where we put gauges on the system and found the systems AC charge to be empty so we proceeded to do a leak test and found the schrader was leaking. Can a schrader valve core empty the entire systems charge is my question or should we be looking for another possible leak? Thanks in advance

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jf1202 View Post
    Hey guys new to the field and was on a job today where we put gauges on the system and found the systems AC charge to be empty so we proceeded to do a leak test and found the schrader was leaking. Can a schrader valve core empty the entire systems charge is my question or should we be looking for another possible leak? Thanks in advance
    A leak is a leak! What size, ambient temps and time determines how long to loose an entire charge!

BTW Schaefer valves have caps for a reason!

3. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sure it can leak a whole system down. It's holding in the pressure with one tiny little gasket, after all. Be sure to install caps if there weren't any after you replace the core. You should have been able to see the problem visually by a large amount of oil around the schrader that was leaking.

5. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Okay thanks guys didn't see a large amount of oil around the schrader but the unit has sat all winter. lso sprayed with soapy bubbles and it bubbled right up. Thanks everyone

7. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Without a doubt they can.

Had an R22 system go down 2-4 months ago due to NO refrigerant left at all, about 10-12 lbs of it.

Put Nitro in it, walk up to the box, open the door and *HSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH* The one schrader without the cap blew it all out.

Man I was upset.

Now I double. Triple check all the schraders before I leave to make sure they are capped and gasketed.

9. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    had one on a Goodman coil do that. It was where the txv would have gone. It only had a rubber cap on it.

No, I dont install goodman...
    Nest is POO!!

11. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rjk_cmh View Post
    Sure it can leak a whole system down. It's holding in the pressure with one tiny little gasket, after all. Be sure to install caps if there weren't any after you replace the core. You should have been able to see the problem visually by a large amount of oil around the schrader that was leaking.
    Can't always tell by oil. Could be from removing the hoses.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

13. Likes ckartson liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    had one on a Goodman coil do that. It was where the txv would have gone. It only had a rubber cap on it.

No, I dont install goodman...
    Those Goodman caps are a flimsy joke. They are like dust caps or something. Chinese units I work on have better caps than Goodman. Some greedy bastage at Goodman is in charge of the decision to use a crappy cap like that. Never seen a cap as bad as the ones on Goodman. Its like Goodman has them crappy caps specially crappy made just for them.

15. Likes DavidDeBord, rjk_cmh, tmt0269, HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Those Goodman caps are a flimsy joke. They are like dust caps or something. Chinese units I work on have better caps than Goodman. Some greedy bastage at Goodman is in charge of the decision to use a crappy cap like that. Never seen a cap as bad as the ones on Goodman. Its like Goodman has them crappy caps specially crappy made just for them.
    So itsice, ... You like Goodman's Caps?
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

17. Likes HVAC_Marc, fridg liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Goodman valve caps are
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

19. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rjk_cmh View Post
    oil is not always present at refrigerant leaks, especially at a schrader core that has a cap on it .....

Post Likes
    you can loose the entire charge with a leaky schrader core .... would pressure test system, you should be able to tell if there is an additional refrigerant leak by a pressure test and evacuation .....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivero View Post
    Now I double. Triple check all the schraders before I leave to make sure they are capped and gasketed.
    Proper torque of 5” pounds is also important. JB makes a torque limiting screw driver looking torque wrench, pre-set at 5 inch pounds. Too loose or too tight can also leak.
    There are two ways to do things, Right and Again.

Post Likes
    Why don't they make a cap that the o ring doesn't fall out?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shavedneon View Post
    Proper torque of 5” pounds is also important. JB makes a torque limiting screw driver looking torque wrench, pre-set at 5 inch pounds. Too loose or too tight can also leak.
    I got 2 of those, they are great, very easy to use.

Post Likes
    I carry a bunch of new brass caps and always put new ones with nylog. Then when I remove my gauges or wireless probes I check with either an ir leak detector or bubble to make sure it's not leaking before I leave.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivero View Post
    Without a doubt they can.

Had an R22 system go down 2-4 months ago due to NO refrigerant left at all, about 10-12 lbs of it.

Put Nitro in it, walk up to the box, open the door and *HSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH* The one schrader without the cap blew it all out.

Man I was upset.

At the least spit on em after you take your gauges off to see if it bubbles.

27. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Don't sugar coat it man, just tell us strait what you think.

Post Likes
    Goodman valve caps are
    can you please tell us how you really feel about them goodman caps
    RTB Mechanical
    734-315-0064
    http://rtbmechanical.com

30. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Yes to both.

Yes; a single leak can empty a system.

Yes; you should never stop leak checking after you find the first leak! <g>

That second one especially can really come back to bite you in the ass. <g>

PHM
    -------

PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

32. Likes 3.14, DavidDeBord liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in