Post Likes

Replacement compressor smaller

Warranty replacement compressor is a bit smaller than the original. It's a Rheem cube 2 1/2 ton heat pump. Not only is the BTU smaller, but the diameter is smaller as well. The CCH is now to small. This came through United. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow, but if this is what the OEM shipped maybe I can get them to throw in a new CCH. What would you do?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Local 449?

Post Likes
    Any idea what murdered the last one?
    Also I'm surprised United is providing the replacement and not the local Rheem dealer.

Post Likes
    Purchased at United. Rheem product branded Thermal Zone by United.
    Local 449?

Post Likes
    Is the heater the hose clamp style or rubber with the spring? I should hope they would provide you with one that fits. If not they might have the heat tape style.

Post Likes
    Hose clamp.
    Local 449?

Post Likes
    If its an OEM replacement then I would say your covered. You could always ask for a rating given the new compressor BTU to confirm capacity, and save the document.

Post Likes
    Trane has done the same thing to me numerous times. the comp is smaller diameter so sump heater won't fit. they didn't put a note in their computer system to provide one w/compressors (like with the braze in vs mech txv changeover on their coils).

I've discovered some of the replacement compressors also have a different capacitor rating than the oem as well, so check that , too.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    Trane has done the same thing to me numerous times. the comp is smaller diameter so sump heater won't fit. they didn't put a note in their computer system to provide one w/compressors (like with the braze in vs mech txv changeover on their coils).

I've discovered some of the replacement compressors also have a different capacitor rating than the oem as well, so check that , too.
    every one does get a new capacitor with a new compressor don't they?

Post Likes
    yes, but sometimes the new comp has a different capacitor size
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    I recently had a payne 60k btu with a scroll compressor that ran R22. The HO wanted an original compressor swap. So I went to sigler, a distributor of carrier in my city, and they sold me a compressor for that model and serial. I'm thinking its going to be identical to the one I have, but this thing was like two inches shorter. It works fine, but I learned to never expect an identical OEM part replacement. :/