Post Likes

Generic Circulator Pumps

I use a lot of circulator pumps in my line of work and sadly the cost of Taco and Grundfos pumps has been steadily rising. In fact my cost on bronze pumps for potable water has almost doubled in the last 12 years.

I started looking around for new sources and I found several generic suppliers who make an internal wet rotor pump that's almost exactly like the name brand. Here's a link to the units:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/110-120V-Ci...72.m2749.l2649

I've been using them for almost 2 years now and no call backs. Oddly they use a 3/4 MIP connection so I find that installing a 3/4 dielectric union works well with them. They have a 3 speed selector switch and they're made from stainless steel. The manufacturer even makes iron pumps too.

I personally would never consider them if there were any kind of quality problems with them. I just can't find any so why pay double for a name brand?

Post Likes
    Thread it onto an iso-flange and call it a day.

Name brands are generally UL certified and have a warranty through a supplier.
    This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between posts. Please try again in 50 seconds.

Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    I pay 10 bucks more for a 007 or a grundfos 3 speed. I don't see the benefit of stainless as if the cast iron is rotted the pump is the least of your worries. Still hoping nest gets in the circulator game

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    I pay 10 bucks more for a 007 or a grundfos 3 speed. I don't see the benefit of stainless as if the cast iron is rotted the pump is the least of your worries. Still hoping nest gets in the circulator game

Gotta be stainless or bronze for potable water.

5. Likes James Colver liked this post
    Post Likes
    Still hoping nest gets in the circulator game
    NestPump -

"the dumb circulator"
    "we take your data and sell it to Utica"
    "where running backwards is normal and saves energy"
    "the only pump not needing a neutral"
    This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between posts. Please try again in 50 seconds.

Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

7. Likes Red Man, James Colver, kangaroogod liked this post
    Post Likes

You have to use stainless for potable water and those tend to be around 200 bucks. I just haven't had any issues with the metal "rotting" nor any issues with the pumps breaking down either. I just serviced a system we installed 2 of these on and they are still quietly and faithfully doing their jobs.

Post Likes
    Makes sense, I had forgotten about the domestic side as i don't get involved with that too much.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    NestPump -

"the dumb circulator"
    "we take your data and sell it to Utica"
    "where running backwards is normal and saves energy"
    "the only pump not needing a neutral"
    You forgot..."try unplugging it for 30 seconds and plug it back in".
    "Sometimes what's right is what's left after you do everything wrong"--Robin Williams

11. Likes HVAC_Marc, James Colver liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    You forgot..."try unplugging it for 30 seconds and plug it back in".
    I get to service a furnace today that we installed 5 years ago. A nice 2 stage variable 80% furnace that worked faithfully..... that is until the customer installed a Nest on a 2 wire system. The board failed a couple weeks later and now the client gets to pay for a board and the labor. Wow that's saving them a lot of money

13. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post