Thread: Communicating Thermostat and Overflow Pan Monitoring Switch

Post Likes

Communicating Thermostat and Overflow Pan Monitoring Switch

I have a Goodman CTK03AA thermostat controlling an Amana AVPTC series Air Handler and ASZC18 series heat pump. The airhandler has an overflow catch tray under it with a NC water sensor switch.

The installer wired the sensor in series with the +24VAC powering the thermostat. I understand that if the tray fills, the power to the thermostat will be interrupted, the display will go dark and the system will shutdown. So in the world of "brute force" control, this wiring will be functional, but not very pretty.

Since there is no "Y" or "R" control available as in a legacy control system, wondering if interrupting the 24VAC to the thermostat was the best way to signal a pan full condition for this system? It would seem that with all the "bells & whistles" built into the electronics, there should be a connection on the control board that would stop the compressor and throw an alarm on the CTK03.

Tim

Post Likes
    Should have bought a carrier/bryant that has that capability built into their communicating controls.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Wire the overflow switch in series with Y. This will stop the compressor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by welling service View Post
    Wire the overflow switch in series with Y. This will stop the compressor.
    Except there is no "Y" in a fully communicating system.

There are ways to do this via relays.
    It's not the prettiest, but it works, is code, and all that great stuff.

Nothing that specific can be talked about in these forums.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Should have bought a carrier/bryant that has that capability built into their communicating controls.
    Then you get the crappiest heat exchanger on the planet as an added bonus.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post

Don't believe they had that ability when they first came out either.

Post Likes
    Hi beshvac,

You said: "Should have bought a carrier/bryant that has that capability built into their communicating controls.
    It's not the Brand with the fewest repairs-It's all in the install!!! Attention to detail and using the best materials!"

If I were to really have done it correctly, it would have been a cast iron wood stove or a geothermal! Alas the HOA has this thing about stainless smokepipe and I only own .25 Acres and there are deed restrictions on drilling wells , LOL.

So you are saying the Brand should have some influence on the equipment selection?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pendetim View Post
    Hi beshvac,

You said: "Should have bought a carrier/bryant that has that capability built into their communicating controls.
    It's not the Brand with the fewest repairs-It's all in the install!!! Attention to detail and using the best materials!"

If I were to really have done it correctly, it would have been a cast iron wood stove or a geothermal! Alas the HOA has this thing about stainless smokepipe and I only own .25 Acres and there are deed restrictions on drilling wells , LOL.

So you are saying the Brand should have some influence on the equipment selection?
    No, I am saying yours doesn't have the capability and that theirs does.

Maybe they will get it someday like beenthere said...the carrier communicating controls did not have it when they first came out. (I put my first infinity in in 2004 and it didn't do it, but around 2007 i think it was added)
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Can the installer just wire the overflow switch in series with the door switch/interlock or in series with the primary to the low voltage transformer? Is that DIY instructions?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in