HVAC Business in So. Cal or Atlanta....Which one for my move????

I am looking at making a pretty drastic move...I am looking to leave my home of Wisconsin (been here all my life) and I am thinking about moving to California (SF Bay area or San Diego)or moving to the Atlanta area. I have been in Wisconsin for 30+ years and have been doing HVAC for 16+. I have been in all aspects of the field from commercial sheet metal & project management to project manager to the sales & service side of the HVAC business in residential/light commercial. I am currently a service & sales manager for a residential/light commercial company and I am ready for a change and looking to get out of the cold Wisconsin winters. So my questions is how is the HVAC business in these two areas? Is there decent money to be made in either of these major metro areas? Are there any companies that you suggest to look at first for possible employment, ones you would stay away from at all cost? And lastly do know of any companies in these areas that are looking for someone in the areas of Sales or Service department managers, Operations or business development? Thanks in advance for you input!!

I can't speak for CA but in Atlanta I have several words of advice and reflection.

Atlanta is a HUGE market. There are large Union shops, tons of midsize and of course one man shops. There are the resi guys that have been at their shop forever and those who jump shop for a 50 cent increase or less. Light commercial is no different just larger units and traffic issues driving from one zone to the others.

The dug in shops have guys waiting in the wings to become sales or management. Union shops will hire from within as well depending on who has the seniority if I'm correct. Think I am.

Mid size shops have the most turn over due to seasonal turn over, contract improvements or loss. You may want to set your sights on these for now... phone book is full of them. "Who" would depend on the Atlanta area you wish to take residence in. Since Atlanta is so big you can split it in five ways.

Think of Atlanta as a clock. I-285 is the outer edge and the road which encircles the city. The inner limits of the city is zone 1. Traffic is tough and very slow. Crime is much heavier inside the clock than outside in the burbs.

Split the clock with a cross. Run a line east to west and north to south. Number them clockwise with NW as zone 2.

Zone 2 has good growth. Cobb county has far less taxes than most but is heavily populated. If you travel further northwest in this zone you will get into tornadic paths and bad storms.

Zone 3 is a combination of tech burbs as more tech businesses are moving north of Atlanta and up Ga Hwy 400. 400 heads due north to the mountain areas. Further east in zone 3 gets into well established homesteads and growing cities. You also have the city of Athens where you will find the University of Georgia. These areas are more sparse lands between old southern sleepy towns new growth.

Zone 4 has less population than any other zone besides zone 5. This zone population is increasing with economic growth. Morrow and Rex are wonderful places to raise a family. Traveling to local stores maybe longer drives than 1,2 or 3.

Zone 5 is similar to 4 and growing. Being on the south side of zone 2 will also see bad storms. The further north and west you go the more sparse the growth.

Personally I'm in between zone 2 and 3... right on the line.

Average sales tax here is 7%. Ga has a state personal income tax as high as 7.5% in some cases. Click here for a review. http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxe...s-georgia.aspx

If you have a chance to move to San Deigo I personally would not pass it up, however it stays 70 degrees a yr. long.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    If you have a chance to move to San Deigo I personally would not pass it up, however it stays 70 degrees a yr. long.
    San Deigo is awesome but it is also pricy. I would love to move there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY