Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Purchased smokers house....what to clean?

Hey guys,

I purchased a house built in 2002, one owner, but she was a smoker. I don't think she was a heavy smoker, but one nonetheless.

I repainted almost entire house with Killz (ceilings to be repainted soon), replaced the air filter and cleaned everything. The SMELL is 95% gone, BUT I am getting these white film over everything -- the floor, shelves....When I clean it off I find that it is yellow-brown so I figure it is nicotine?

Is there something I can do to try and get it gone? I understand smoke gets into everything and over time it will disappear, but anything in the HVAC that I could do to speed the process?

Are there any sort of air filters that specifically trap smoke?
    Anything in the system I should clean or do?

I have repaired automotive A/C systems so I know the basics, but never done a residential system so need a poke in the right direction...

Thanks guys

EDIT: I should mention that both the condenser and unit's in the attic were replaced last year with brand new Rheem (gas).

have the ducts cleaned ,to get rid of the smell completely rent or buy a ozone generator and run it on high while not at home
    We really need change now

have the ducts cleaned ,to get rid of the smell completely rent or buy a ozone generator and run it on high while not at home
    We really need change now

Passive air filter or electronic air cleaner?
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

http://www.toptechparts.com/indoor-a...ification.html

try one of these

they make one that plugs into a standard outlet that does not have to be installed into your hvac system

Ozone.
    High effeciency air filters would be first choice. Have duct work inspected as well as indoor evaporator coil it is probably caked with nicotine.

I previoously lived in a home where we were the first non smokers in it's 40 year life. No matter what you do, realize that the lumber and insulation materials in the home will always be permenantly saturated. Any hot day and anytime the hosue is closed up, you'll always have some lingering odor come out. I think A LOT of it saturates the attic insulation. The ductowork in that home upfortunately had panned walls and floor joists for the returns. Spraying a LOT of neutralizing deodorizer into the returns did seem to help. Replacing all the carpet made the biggest difference and geting a new furnace and runnign the fan on low all winter and tiing in a fresh outside air duct.

But like a car, it never goes away 100%. But you can probably get to 99% which is good enough for most people.

To be fair, a house full of anaimals will have the same issue.

theres a paint made by arm & hammer! it works amazingly Ive had the exact same issue this paint was the last thing i tried after all others failed

I like I said, the smell is almost gone....its this dirty white/yellow film that is everywhere.

Is that maybe coming from the evap coils?

I will take the suggestions and get a better air filter for the return, and rent an ozone.

Does this dirty white/yellow film feel gooey or sticky, or just dry and dusty?

Gooey-sticky is tobacco film. Dry-dusty is probably something else.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Its dusty....
    I just ran my finger across my ikea set of drawers. It's not typical dust....Its more yellowish.
    Here is a pic (if it works?)

Name:  smoke.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  70.2 KB

http://www.w124-zone.com/fastpics/smoke.JPG

Also make sure your clothes dryer is vented outside the home and the vent hose/pipe is not leaking into home. You'll have fine white lint all over home if it is leaking.

looks like dryer lint or insulation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast