Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    DO NOT spray any sort of lubricant anywhere near it.
    Thanks. I didn't plan on doing anything of the sort until I had an answer. Once smaller change informed me it was a sealed bearing, then the lubrication question went out the door.

Thanks everyone for the support and information. He confirmed it was the inducer that is locking up. He has ordered a whole assembly kit, but can't pick it up until tomorrow. He recommended that I run it to get the heat up in the house and then shut it off completely. It's supposed to only drop to 35 tonight.

Also, don't know if you are allowed to quote, but if so, what would you charge for the entire assembly with all labor?

Another quick question. I called a carrier dealer to get the part number and was informed it is 327740-714. I was informed that they, nor none of their distributors had the part and that it needs to be ordered directly through the manufacturer.

I found the part online from sears, but was informed to call. I was informed by sears that they are not allowed to sell the part according the manufacturer.

Should I be worried that the HVAC gentleman found the part 2 towns over and could have picked it up today if they weren't closing? The individual I spoke to would use the same distributors as my guy I would assume. What can I do to confirm he has the right part to put in?

Thank again. You guys have been great!!

Quote Originally Posted by 91stealthes View Post
    Another quick question. I called a carrier dealer to get the part number and was informed it is 327740-714. I was informed that they, nor none of their distributors had the part and that it needs to be ordered directly through the manufacturer.

I found the part online from sears, but was informed to call. I was informed by sears that they are not allowed to sell the part according the manufacturer.

Should I be worried that the HVAC gentleman found the part 2 towns over and could have picked it up today if they weren't closing? The individual I spoke to would use the same distributors as my guy I would assume. What can I do to confirm he has the right part to put in?

Any top quality carrier/bryant distributor should have this part in stock.

If they didn't I would question their commitment to their dealers and in turn to their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by small change View Post
    Any top quality carrier/bryant distributor should have this part in stock.

If they didn't I would question their commitment to their dealers and in turn to their customers.
    That's why I'm concerned. A carrier dealer told me that no distributors had it and it would need to be ordered from the manufacturer and then Sears told me they cannot sell it according to the manufacturer and that it needs to be purchased directly through them.

The only reason I could see this is if the part is known to be defective.

I am therefore worried that the Carrier recommended dealer (according to Carrier.com) cannot get the correct part, but that the HVAC gentleman that came to my house got it two towns over with a telephone call. I am worried it is not the correct one, or is of potential poor quality.

If you are not a contractor then the distributor will not sell to you. He may have found it at one of his fellow contractors shops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

they are probably out if stock because those crappy draft inducers fail like crazy ,call sears to come and replace it for you or go get a amish heater until the part comes in
    We really need change now

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    If you are not a contractor then the distributor will not sell to you. He may have found it at one of his fellow contractors
    I didn't try to buy from a distributor though. The recommended dealer from Carrier.com informed me that the couldn't even get on from the distributor. Sears would have sold it to me, but he said there was a note from the manufacturer not to sell the part to anyone, but to contact the manufacturer. I'll be giving Carrier a call tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    they are probably out if stock because those crappy draft inducers fail like crazy ,call sears to come and replace it for you or go get a amish heater until the part comes in
    I have heard the the Carrier inducers aren't great from a few friends that have replaced 2 or more within the last 5 years. I used a local contractor, so Sears is out. I just called them as it was the only place where I could find the part online.

More concerns:

I called Carrier this AM regarding the inducer assembly. They informed me that they cannot ship parts from their location, nor do they have a database to search for parts, so it looks like you guys have a "special" line. The woman informed me that the authorized dealers would be able to help me.

So, I first called the independant authorized dealer I called yesterday. The lady seemed less than enthused to speak with me and said the woman I spoke to yesterday would call me back. Awaiting for that callback.

Next, I called Sears, also an authorized dealer. The gentleman informed me that the manufacturer NO LONGER MAKES THE PART and that no replacement is suggested. Interesting. Now remember, this is a 10-year old furnace that I would assume cost around $-$$. Is it really obsolete after 10-years? Are there no "end-of-life" rules in the HVAC world for spare parts?

So, back to my original concern. How did my HVAC gentleman find the part (if it's even the correct part) two towns over when the independant authorized dealer could not get the part yesterday and Sears says it is no longer manufactured?

What should I do?

p.s. - the furnace ran for about 4 hours last night before I shut it down to goto bed. I didn't want the motor trying to turn a siezed unit. Then, it ran for 2.5 hours this morning before I left for work with no issues.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-10-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Price guess

Oh, this is the part number I was given by the independent authorized dealer:

327740-714

Oh, this is the part number I was given by the independent authorized dealer:

327740-714
    wrong part number.

More concerns:

I called Carrier this AM regarding the inducer assembly. They informed me that they cannot ship parts from their location, nor do they have a database to search for parts, so it looks like you guys have a "special" line. The woman informed me that the authorized dealers would be able to help me.

So, I first called the independant authorized dealer I called yesterday. The lady seemed less than enthused to speak with me and said the woman I spoke to yesterday would call me back. Awaiting for that callback.

Next, I called Sears, also an authorized dealer. The gentleman informed me that the manufacturer NO LONGER MAKES THE PART and that no replacement is suggested. Interesting. Now remember, this is a 10-year old furnace that I would assume cost around $7-10k. Is it really obsolete after 10-years? Are there no "end-of-life" rules in the HVAC world for spare parts?

So, back to my original concern. How did my HVAC gentleman find the part (if it's even the correct part) two towns over when the independant authorized dealer could not get the part yesterday and Sears says it is no longer manufactured?

What should I do?

p.s. - the furnace ran for about 4 hours last night before I shut it down to goto bed. I didn't want the motor trying to turn a siezed unit. Then, it ran for 2.5 hours this morning before I left for work with no issues.
    I called my carrier supplier, and while it's not in stock, it is at the manufacturers site, and can be shipped in 3-5 business days...
    I don't know if the rules allow me to list the part number on the site, but the part number you listed is not correct.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    wrong part number.

I called my carrier supplier, and while it's not in stock, it is at the manufacturers site, and can be shipped in 3-5 business days...
    I don't know if the rules allow me to list the part number on the site, but the part number you listed is not correct.
    You are great! Thank for taking the time to make the call and double check the part number! I provided the independent authorized dealer with the model number and series number yesterday and that is what she told me. Not to self, never use that dealer

sears is for sears...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast