+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof work while raining?

Post Likes

Roof work while raining?

It rarely rains around here, but as usual all hell breaks loose when it does. Do commercial techs go up on 25'+ roofs on extension ladders while in windy/heavy rain conditions to work on equip. What is better 2 pc raingear or long coat.

Post Likes
    When raining real hard will don two peices but water will go down crack no matter what. If lightning avoid altogether.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nick muniz View Post
    Do commercial techs go up on 25'+ roofs on extension ladders while in windy/heavy rain conditions to work on equip.

No, This one won't. It's that simple.
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

Post Likes
    It all depends. Definately a no when there's lightning
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nick muniz View Post
    It rarely rains around here, but as usual all hell breaks loose when it does. Do commercial techs go up on 25'+ roofs on extension ladders while in windy/heavy rain conditions to work on equip. What is better 2 pc raingear or long coat.
    Not if they are thinking clearly.

Post Likes
    Depends how hard its raining and from what direction. Ive serviced RTUs in the rain by putting the panels on top with a patio slab from the roof to stay dry.

Post Likes
    It is almost always raining or snowing up here. We are on the Atlantic Coast just outside of the Gulf Stream. It is cold, and wet and raining/snowing most months except for August and September. A few years ago, it was colder on July 4th than it was on Thanksgiving.

The point I am trying to make is that if we didn't work in the rain, we would work very much at all.

Two piece rain gear is a must. Pants and a Coat, but your still going to get wet. Tarp the equipment when you can. Tie off if it is windy. Secure RTU/Chiller panels when you take them off for service. Be careful. Be careful. Be careful.

Oh, and we rarely ever have lightning here.

Post Likes
    Well, around here on the wet coast, its pretty much inevitable that we end up working in the rain on a fairly regular basis. We try to avoid it whenever possible, but it happens. I have 2 piece Carhart raingear, and also a 10'X10' easyup tent that works great for long jobs.
    Maintnences are not generaly done in the rain for obvious reasons... filters dont hold up to well after sitting in the pi$$ing rain. But again, it does happen
    Lightning, forget it, not happening, i dont care what the call is.

Post Likes
    There's no such thing as rain without lightning here, so... NO! Torrential storms move into this area very fast and they can be on top of you within minutes of hearing the first rumblings miles and miles away. If I hear rumbling in the distance, I start packing up, or at least getting my stuff consolidated so I can be ready when it comes.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    No - my boss doesn't want to have to make the phone call that the tech slipped off the roof, fell off the ladder, or got zipped by 460V

Post Likes
    Well, like meplumber said, if we didnt work in the rain we would be lucky to work 3months a year out here... suck it up, be safe, but the work needs to get done! I make 6 figures so im not bit#!NG

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    Post Likes
    Doesn't rain much in So Cal. but when it does I rope stuff down to just bare essentials for Pm's. If its for service electrical bag, driver n guages that's it.

I wear work pants with rain coat, by the time the shower has passed I can get back to work fairly unemcumbered.

Post Likes
    With all the tech gadgets on my iphone, I just wait for the least intense moment if it HAS to be done. Rain isn't too bad around here (inland northwest), but the wind can really make things difficult. I always let someone know where I am and to check up on me if I have to be alone. As said before, be carefull, think it through, don't rush, especially around electricity! Good luck.

Post Likes
    Working in seattle you work in more rain than sun. Two piece rain gear is a must. If you just wear a jacket your legs get soaked. A 10x10 pop up tent works well for compressor changeouts in the rain as long as its not windy.

Post Likes
    No when there is lightning. We usually schedule our work around the rain though so its rare that you get rained on that many days of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    I do not work in the rain. I got lit up pretty good by a shorted drain heat tape. Last rainy roof I was on 20 yrs ago. Maybe if I had someone with me to perform CPR.

Post Likes
    Comort stuff will wait, but the necessary things like coolers and freezers gotta get done. Can't "Eat Fresh" if it isn't fresh.. Luckily I work for good people, and pretty much make my own decisions. Always work safe though.

Post Likes
    I just add layers. I am looking for a long raincoat have not found any I'm interested in so far. We don't work in lightning when it's on top of us. We use tents sometimes that does not go well. Had to cut fabric loose and let it fly a couple times.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358436132.345737.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  36.3 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358436191.405704.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  35.2 KB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    I just add layers. I am looking for a long raincoat have not found any I'm interested in so far. We don't work in lightning when it's on top of us. We use tents sometimes that does not go well. Had to cut fabric loose and let it fly a couple times.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358436132.345737.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  36.3 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358436191.405704.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  35.2 KB
    Where's the grill and chairs?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Where's the grill and chairs?
    Pic1 blew away
    Pic2 washed away

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in