Thread: New furnace and heat pump installed today

Post Likes

New furnace and heat pump installed today

Our Lennox SLP98 and XP17 were installed today and I'd like to get some critiques of the install. How does it look? I can provide more pics if needed.

Out with the old....

In with the new....

Post Likes
    Looks pretty good.

Post Likes
    well done..... the only issue i have is no return air elbow..... nice work though.......
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-09-2013 at 05:48 AM. Reason: non AOP member

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tkhvacguy View Post
    Not to impressed with the way the lineset runs right in front of the service door and alway did hate when a unit is that close to what appears to be a dryer vent
    The vent by the heat pump isn't hooked up to anything. I'm not sure what used to be there but it was capped from the inside when we bought the house.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tkhvacguy View Post
    Not to impressed with the way the line set runs right in front of the service door and always did hate when a unit is that close to what appears to be a dryer vent

X2

that line set would be a failure if I were quality control!!

wonder if the "vent" was/is for fresh air?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    tkhvacguy

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    I'd hate to ever have to work on that heat pump. Line set and seal tight should have been ran down the wall then over to it.

Post Likes
    the unit is to close to the house Im sure in the install instructions it will state a min. clearence of prob. 18" or even 2'
    also the fact that it faces the wrong way with the lines crossing the access pannel will be hard to service
    though it is a fairly nice looking install clean looks and good workmanship
    its allways eiseir to stand back and pick apart someonelses work to say would-a should-a could-a

Post Likes
    +1 on hte dryer vent. I really hope that's a fresh air intake of some sort. A codnenser coil will make a fine lint catcher and the warm moist air will make nice ice, droppping effciency by putting you into defrost a little quicker.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanical'al View Post
    the unit is to close to the house Im sure in the install instructions it will state a min. clearence of prob. 18" or even 2'
    also the fact that it faces the wrong way with the lines crossing the access pannel will be hard to service
    its allways eiseir to stand back and pick apart someonelses work to say would-a should-a could-a
    I think the service panel size was intentionally rotated so you could palce it 6" away form the wall. I know Carrier allows 6" if there's 12" on two sides and and 24" on the service panel side. Personally I'd want at least 12" to a wall.

Post Likes
    lineset needs to be elbowed down and routed for free access to service, an inspector should catch that and make them move it, there is no way to service compressor,and internal components, electrical likewise....FAIL

Post Likes
    there is no trap on the condensate line. so the vent is ALWAYS blowing air. I bet if you check the installation instructions, a trap is required.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    +1 on hte dryer vent. I really hope that's a fresh air intake of some sort. A codnenser coil will make a fine lint catcher and the warm moist air will make nice ice, droppping effciency by putting you into defrost a little quicker.
    Here's a pic of the vent from inside the mechanical room. Based on it's location, could have been an old vent for the water heater?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanical'al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I think the service panel size was intentionally rotated so you could palce it 6" away form the wall. I know Carrier allows 6" if there's 12" on two sides and and 24" on the service panel side. Personally I'd want at least 12" to a wall.
    I checked the installation manual and it needs at least 30" clearance to the access panel side, 36" inches to one of the other three sides, 12" to one of the remaining two sides and 6" to the final side. There's 7" of clearance from the house.

Post Likes
    as others have said i would not have run the lines in front of the door the way they did.
    however the way the door comes off and the location of the controls in that unit it is not as bad as it looks for servicing.

neat looking rack that it's sitting on, just hope it holds up to the weather.

Post Likes
    Is that the dryer vent coming out behind the outside unit.? Thats not good. The unit will have to serviced some time ????????/
    Blue Fox

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    there is no trap on the condensate line. so the vent is ALWAYS blowing air. I bet if you check the installation instructions, a trap is required.

Is this the condensate trap? It didn't show up in the first pic.

Post Likes
    money says inspector won't make them change it, but might comment on the hassle to service if needed.

might check the furnace install manual for the condensate line and verify it is correct. some Lennox units can NOT be connected to the A/C drain. also, as was stated, check for proper trap placement.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Post Likes
    please read the post before commenting or asking the same thing over and over.

He said, and posted photo, that vent is NOT connected!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in