+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: x-13 evap motor

Post Likes

x-13 evap motor

Hello guy's I need some direction on where to find trouble shooting information on this motor I heard something about a meter but I rather go old fashion amp probe/ohms ect. thanks in advance. George

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by george alvarez View Post
    Hello guy's I need some direction on where to find trouble shooting information on this motor I heard something about a meter but I rather go old fashion amp probe/ohms ect. thanks in advance. George
    Really don't need to trouble shoot them, if there not working or working correctly, more than likely its the module. Pull the motor and take it to the supply house, if it's in warranty and they will give you an new one. If it's not in warranty sell them a new motor.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Special tester for EC motors you can get for about $ (I have used mine a handful of times)- see here < A bit more info then should be in an open forum>
    Yes, 99% of the time its the module - sounds like $ to me!
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-09-2013 at 06:31 AM. Reason: DIY diagnostic link and price

Post Likes
    That was for a VS RCM, and not an X13 motor.

A bit more info then should be in an open forum, I removed the vid.

Post Likes
    you can go to genteq.com they have several videos on ecm & x13

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by blaster50 View Post
    you can go to genteq.com they have several videos on ecm & x13
    You can also look on www.thedealertoolbox.com
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    I bought that tester from the dealer toolbox and never use it. If im getting power to the motor and its not spinning thats all i need to know so i just replace the motor, no need to spend time on further diagnosis.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettservices View Post
    I bought that tester from the dealer toolbox and never use it. If im getting power to the motor and its not spinning thats all i need to know so i just replace the motor, no need to spend time on further diagnosis.
    Except it is usually just the module, the motor is usually fine.
    Modules cost less than half of what the whole motor and module cost together.

The most common failure on ECM2.x motors is also field repairable with a $1.60 part, and a soldering iron, in about 20 minutes.
    It doesn't even take soldering skills much more advanced than those of a spastic ADD monkey.

Post Likes
    let me elaborate: Nearly all my ecm failures are under warranty so I am not billing my customers for parts so that's why I don't even try to diagnose it further because the warehouses around here only stock them as a whole and not just the cap. I would love some insight on that cheap part your talking about:>

Post Likes
    Check for 24 v between c and 1,2,3,4 or 5 if its there the motors bad if not check somewhere else. Check for 230v or 120v between l and n

Post Likes
    what he said. if youve got 24 volts and line voltage to it, bad module. Weve had tons of issues with the x13 especially after storms.

Post Likes
    I would love some insight on that cheap part your talking about:>
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....+ECM2.3+repair
    To bad I didn't have a better camera when I did that one. Next time I repair one, I'll take much better pictures, and do more of an instructional post.

Quote Originally Posted by techonsite View Post
    Weve had tons of issues with the x13 especially after storms.
    http://www.getzebra.com/products.asp?cat=2

Post Likes
    My experience with ECM or ICM's (as you will) and more specifically the precursor to the X13 goes back about 15 years when I was a product engineer for Carrier. They suffer from transient spikes and almost 2 decades later the problem persists.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    To clarify for others who will be testing. These motors are supplied with line voltage power all the time. They only energies to the selected "speed" when the correct low voltage tap is energized. Condemning an ECM motor only because it is getting 120V and not spinning could lead to a mis-diagnosis.

Post Likes
    I am new here and i guess i should have gave more info. I only condemn when the tap is getting low voltage power and the motor has 120v. Not just 120v alone. Sorry for my vagueness. Thanks for clearing that up. I was just suggesting not spending alot of valuable time figuring out what part of the head might actually be broken. Even though it may be a cheap quick solder piece to fix it, to me that opens up your company for liability. I would rather replace with a complete factory built motor so if it ever caught fire or something they cant come back and say you modified the motor or something. Just my 2C.

Post Likes
    Also worth noting for those unaware, VS ECM motors are DC and not AC. There is a circuit similar to a diode bridge or wheatstone bridge that rectifies the incoming AC to DC. And also, troubleshooting the "control heads" is very simple.

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    I am new here and i guess i should have gave more info. I only condemn when the tap is getting low voltage power and the motor has 120v. Not just 120v alone. Sorry for my vagueness. Thanks for clearing that up. I was just suggesting not spending alot of valuable time figuring out what part of the head might actually be broken. Even though it may be a cheap quick solder piece to fix it, to me that opens up your company for liability. I would rather replace with a complete factory built motor so if it ever caught fire or something they cant come back and say you modified the motor or something. Just my 2C.
    I figured you knew what you meant. Just clarifying for others. Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooked View Post
    Also worth noting for those unaware, VS ECM motors are DC and not AC. There is a circuit similar to a diode bridge or wheatstone bridge that rectifies the incoming AC to DC. And also, troubleshooting the "control heads" is very simple.
    If troubleshooting a VS ECM motor is simple then I'd sure like to know how to do it. If you know of an easy way besides using a special tester designed to diagnose them please reply with " I'll explain in the Pro Residential forum". I'll start a thread on "Diagnosing VS motors". I'm not trying to put you on the spot but I would like to learn how to better diagnose a VS motor on the job & I'm sure a lot of other pros would too. When I condemn a VS motor (usually the module) I always feel I'm guessing out of process of elimination. So far I've been lucky & haven't been wrong yet but it can be an expensive mistake.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    If troubleshooting a VS ECM motor is simple then I'd sure like to know how to do it. If you know of an easy way besides using a special tester designed to diagnose them please reply with " I'll explain in the Pro Residential forum". I'll start a thread on "Diagnosing VS motors". I'm not trying to put you on the spot but I would like to learn how to better diagnose a VS motor on the job & I'm sure a lot of other pros would too. When I condemn a VS motor (usually the module) I always feel I'm guessing out of process of elimination. So far I've been lucky & haven't been wrong yet but it can be an expensive mistake.
    The special testers are nice for when you are troubleshooting odd behavior, or want/need to verify that the controls are sending the correct signals to the motor module, but for 99.9% of VS motor troubleshooting scenarios, all you need is a go/no go tester, and a couple of simple tests with a multimeter.

Basically, just verify the line voltage supply, if present, use something like the cheap tech mate switch to see if the motor runs.
    If it has line voltage, and does not run when the control signal is applied with the tech mate, pull the module off and ohm out the motor windings.
    If you don't get anything to ground on either of the 3 motor leads, and the resistance is the same lead to lead on all 3, and the motor bearings are good, replace the module only.
    If any of the 3 resistance measurements lead to lead are different than the other 2 readings, but there is no reading to ground, or the motor bearings are bad, replace just the motor.
    If you get a reading to ground on any of the 3 leads, replace both the motor and module.

You can even make a simple go/no go tester out of a spare 16 pin control harness, and a 9v battery.

Post Likes
    I know, I figured with all of the module failures that the suppliers would have figured out it would save every one (except motor manufacturer but motors are out sourced) time and money. I have never seen a ecm motor where it wasnt the module and most the failures have been a few years old. I havent replaced many lately so hopefully the got the problem at least contained.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in