+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing a Heat Exchanger

Post Likes

Cool Replacing a Heat Exchanger

Would anybody in there right mind replace a primary heat exchanger in a 1993 Goodman Model # GMPN1004 REV A 92%: Serial 98056181 7A. The Furnace is clean and well maintained and the customer is demanding two more years of service as he is planning to sale the home!
    IcyFlame

Post Likes
    The short answer is,,,,, If I am selling my home in 2 years and have to spend several thousand dollars additional to replace the unit, will I recoup my investment in the sale as the furnace is updated and more attractive to the buyer? Well kitchens and bathrooms sell homes,,, if I took the $3000 and updated my appliances or bathroom I would recoup my investment better spending my money that route.. So yes I can see that happening. If the heat exchanger is under warranty and the furnace is otherwise in good condition then sure.....honest answer

Post Likes
    Replacing a heat exchanger is a lot cheaper than replacing the unit especially in a well maintained unit.

Post Likes
    I have done it.... don't really like it ....customers money
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    I usually bid it $500 less than a new unit...even if it's under warranty

Post Likes
    Easy money for sure.

Post Likes
    I've only done them in warranty - if it was OUR install. Otherwise it's too much of a pain, plus one has already cracked. The next one will too, and again, and again, until you fix the reason for failure. High static anyone? Going by age of the furnace, I've noticed the tubular style HX typically fails at a younger age than a serpentine or clamshell. Unless it's a stainless steel Amana...those are darn near bulletproof.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the responses, I was kind of hoping that you all was going to talk me out of it, but it is the customers money and no ones life is being threaten, what else would I have to do in those four hours, lol
    IcyFlame

Post Likes
    low airflow, underfired, and lack of post purge. i see more failures because of 2 & 3.

The answer to your question is "yes"

Post Likes
    That hx is under warranty, so he should only be paying labor.

Post Likes
    I think that model was known to have bad rivets from the factory so it's under warranty.

Post Likes
    Yes, I would do it. Critters and birds cause more CO problems than heat exchangers anyway. Sometimes you do what the customer wants. They will be safer than if nothing was done about the heat exchanger.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsmith816 View Post
    I usually bid it $500 less than a new unit...even if it's under warranty
    This is wise, at least you make your money out of it then.

Post Likes
    Just make sure the homeowner understands that the heat exchanger is the ONLY part covered by a warranty. Sounds crazy but sometimes homeowners think a new heat exchanger, compressor, a-coil etc means the system won't have any more problems and everything is under warranty.

Post Likes
    Or the heat exchanger that was replaced 9 years ago in my 25 year Lennox should still have 11 more years!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Off topic a bit but: I went on one Monday I put a float switch in a condensate removal pump 2 1/2 years ago and a couple of the guys replaced the heat exchangers last winter. The float switch failed and he thought we should have changed the condensate pump while the guys were there. He actually asked why the system wasn't fixed properly.

Post Likes
    DONT UNDERSTAND EVERYONES CRYING ABOUT CHANGING HEAT EXCHANGERS.

1. its lighter than new furnace.
    2. it only takes half a day instead of whole day.
    3. still can make 500-1000 dollar profit.

the day i learned to just relax take my time and enjoy my job.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icyflame View Post
    Would anybody in there right mind replace a primary heat exchanger in a 1993 Goodman Model # GMPN1004 REV A 92%: Serial 98056181 7A. The Furnace is clean and well maintained and the customer is demanding two more years of service as he is planning to sale the home!
    I am thinking the unit is a 98 and not a 93 by the serial number. Am I wrong? 92% what are you going to change it out to a 95% and gain only 3-5% eff.? I believe warranty is 20 years and I would replace the whole H/E. While at it. Oh yes I would change it out.

dogboy

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in