Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Cool Replacing a Heat Exchanger

Would anybody in there right mind replace a primary heat exchanger in a 1993 Goodman Model # GMPN1004 REV A 92%: Serial 98056181 7A. The Furnace is clean and well maintained and the customer is demanding two more years of service as he is planning to sale the home!
    IcyFlame

The short answer is,,,,, If I am selling my home in 2 years and have to spend several thousand dollars additional to replace the unit, will I recoup my investment in the sale as the furnace is updated and more attractive to the buyer? Well kitchens and bathrooms sell homes,,, if I took the $3000 and updated my appliances or bathroom I would recoup my investment better spending my money that route.. So yes I can see that happening. If the heat exchanger is under warranty and the furnace is otherwise in good condition then sure.....honest answer

Replacing a heat exchanger is a lot cheaper than replacing the unit especially in a well maintained unit.

I have done it.... don't really like it ....customers money
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

I usually bid it $500 less than a new unit...even if it's under warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Bsmith816 View Post
    I usually bid it $500 less than a new unit...even if it's under warranty
    This is wise, at least you make your money out of it then.

Easy money for sure.

I've only done them in warranty - if it was OUR install. Otherwise it's too much of a pain, plus one has already cracked. The next one will too, and again, and again, until you fix the reason for failure. High static anyone? Going by age of the furnace, I've noticed the tubular style HX typically fails at a younger age than a serpentine or clamshell. Unless it's a stainless steel Amana...those are darn near bulletproof.

Thanks for the responses, I was kind of hoping that you all was going to talk me out of it, but it is the customers money and no ones life is being threaten, what else would I have to do in those four hours, lol
    IcyFlame

low airflow, underfired, and lack of post purge. i see more failures because of 2 & 3.

The answer to your question is "yes"

That hx is under warranty, so he should only be paying labor.

I think that model was known to have bad rivets from the factory so it's under warranty.

Yes, I would do it. Critters and birds cause more CO problems than heat exchangers anyway. Sometimes you do what the customer wants. They will be safer than if nothing was done about the heat exchanger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast