Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    You MUST have a good connection between the burners and the ground connection on the board or module.
    Amen Brother Ben, shot at the fox and killed the hen.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Great explanation on flame sensor...,hell I think alot of techs still think it "heat" they sense!

would it not then be called a heat sensor instead of a flame sensor?

dogboy

If you read the article i posted, it would be more aptly named a "rectified current sensor".

I wish more people understood how flame rectification worked. I just came from a manufacturer's training class where the rep said the flame sensor works because it is made of two dissimilar metals that produce a micro amp current when heated. I almost fell out of my chair.

Quote Originally Posted by ebierley View Post
    I wish more people understood how flame rectification worked. I just came from a manufacturer's training class where the rep said the flame sensor works because it is made of two dissimilar metals that produce a micro amp current when heated. I almost fell out of my chair.
    I wouldnt hold it against him, he doesn't NEED to know, and is confused.

Truth is, i didnt even know until earlier today...

Quote Originally Posted by wdshea View Post
    I wouldnt hold it against him, he doesn't NEED to know, and is confused.

Truth is, i didnt even know until earlier today...
    But he does need to know. He is the ICP tech rep trainer for the northeast. If he doesn't now how can he trouble shoot flame rectification without iunderstanding how it works?

tech rep or salesman...?

We had a goodman tech at our shop today for a training class and he says you can check between 24v com and 120v n. you should get less than 2v with the furnace running. Is there any validity to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hvac216 View Post
    We had a goodman tech at our shop today for a training class and he says you can check between 24v com and 120v n. you should get less than 2v with the furnace running. Is there any validity to this?
    I was taught between 30 and 50v from from flame rod to common or ground. This is with or without flame and this works like a charm on are trane 90+% ers at school but other ones ive tested dont work out the same mine at me house has a smaller flame sensor coming from an ignition module ive read 5v on it and cant get a uA at all off of it but it works
    Im thourghly confused but it seems im not the only one. Are you talking about checking for good ground connection?

Well I went back to this call earlier today and double checked all my ground connections. i removed one that was connected to the frame of the transformer and placed it with the rest of the ground on the furnace cabinet and it tested fine. I cycled the furnace 3x and everything was fine after that, man I'm happy I'm involved with hvac talk. I will def learn a lot from seasoned techs. Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Ac_man View Post
    Well I went back to this call earlier today and double checked all my ground connections. i removed one that was connected to the frame of the transformer and placed it with the rest of the ground on the furnace cabinet and it tested fine. I cycled the furnace 3x and everything was fine after that, man I'm happy I'm involved with hvac talk. I will def learn a lot from seasoned techs. Thanks guys
    What kind of readings did you get before u determined it bad? I asume u didnt do any testing after it worked, i dont either but maybe in the future on this subject ill check volts to flame sensor befor and after and uA after i clean it and get it to work. If nothing else for refrence but judging from (what little) experience i have and from what i can tell based on this thread it depends on the monster your taming no set logic is sufficient for all flame sensors. Can u call a tech support for facs? Im not a pro tech ?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast