+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: x-13 evap motors...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    By set speeds, I meant you have speed selection terminals on the motor.
    There actually called torque taps and there 24 volts that are set/programed by the mfg. for the furnace/air handler the motor is installed in, it's not really recommended that the tech play with the torque taps.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Thanks for the clarification Mr. Bill.

The only time I've ever changed a tap is on a failure. Once or twice, I've changed the tap and gotten the motor operational until a replacement arrived.

Post Likes
    The only time I've ever changed a tap is on a failure. Once or twice, I've changed the tap and gotten the motor operational until a replacement arrived.
    Thats good to know, I never have tried that, but in Houston it's a petty good chance you will always find the part, so I just pull the motor and go get another one.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shubers85 View Post
    The x13 is a single phase motor/module assembly. 3 phase motors are typically belt driven in my experience. I haven't seen a 3 phase ECM/x13. But I don't work on commercial equipment. Mostly residential. Did you verify you are not loosing a leg of power ?
    Rheem /Ruud has a 3 phase pachage unit that uses a single phase X13 blower motor. And they fail.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Rheem /Ruud has a 3 phase pachage unit that uses a single phase X13 blower motor. And they fail.
    Yes, new part failures are becoming more common everyday, now Carrier is going to the LG compressors, guess pretty soon we wont have time to do our everyday service calls, for all the warranty calls we will have.

Post Likes
    I had two recent classes that touched on this. One was a RSES with a Nordyne Rep., the other a Carrier distributor with a class specifically dedicated to troubleshooting ECMs. They both swore up and down that the issues were becoming less, and in my limited experience in kinda seems so. It's been many a week since I've had to deal with one, and we've installed a boatload of 'em.

However...you can't ignore the fact that the reason they keep having these classes is because there was/is a huge issue and they are sick of giving out warranty motors and modules together - when they well know by now it is the modules that are the culprit as much as 90% of the time.

I just got yet another RSES bulletin in the mail over the weekend concerning this very issue. As noted above, the X13s now have a thick rubber matting protecting the module circuitry as they figured out that moistue really messes with these things.

I have no clue as to how they are attempting to deal with the power surge issue, other than to suggest additional surge protection...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    However...you can't ignore the fact that the reason they keep having these classes is because there was/is a huge issue and they are sick of giving out warranty motors and modules together - when they well know by now it is the modules that are the culprit as much as 90% of the time.
    On an X13 motor, my supply house will not accept just the module, they want to whole motor for warranty, unless something has change in the past two weeks.

Post Likes
    It is my understanding that the new carrier fx series airhandlers do not use the x13 anymore? That carrier sticks some made in china pos in its place. Anyone? I know the fv is ECM 3.0

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    An x13 motor is no less a "true ECM" than a GE 2.3.

I haven't found any X13 failures myself, is this a regional thing?
    We've replaced several of them. But I've found zero correlation between X13 failures and static pressure. Just my personal observation. The last two that I replaced were actually running low ESP's, as in 0.3-0.4". There was rust on the shafts though, indicating that the problem was probably condensation. Dehumidification mode may have been responsible for that. I've started ignoring the instructions and using the next lower speed tap for low cooling (dehumidification) speed rather than the "lowest speed that doesn't cause evap coil freezing." There were also some X13's that were just defective. There was a bulletin issued and it was posted in this forum somewhere. Something about a component in the motor module that would overheat IIRC.

Post Likes
    That 3 phase rheem with single phase x-13 is whats giving me grief right now it has the speed taps and the silicone goop in the bell. I get there and blower is dead turn breaker off to chek connections in disconnect alls ok turn breaker back on now all starts working for four to six hours or all day. going back out tomorrow mean while customer is turning breaker off and on should it stop running. Unit does not trip breaker. Its just a way to reset module?

Post Likes
    George,

Confirm correct voltage. Ohm out the motor. If the motor is good, replace the module.

Mr. Bill,

Carrier is now paying warranty labor for module replacements. I'm not sure what brand your talking about.

Post Likes
    Thanks Mr. Bill. Unit is a Rheem 3 Phase with a single phase gentec x-13 there is also a Emerson comfort alert commercial diagnostics contraption on the unit to add to the wiring nest . Any how I'll be up on that roof tomorrow, forgot to mention with a can of wasp spray there is a giant wasp nest in disconnect George

Post Likes
    Mr. Bill, Carrier is now paying warranty labor for module replacements. I'm not sure what brand your talking about.
    Ruud, it sure would be nice if Ruud started paying labor for module replacements, maybe they will "someday".

Post Likes
    X13 is good for scrap metal, the end.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shubers85 View Post
    X13 is good for scrap metal, the end.
    +1..+2..+3..+4...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in