Heat Pump - Defrost Control Board Jumper Settings

Hello,

I cannot find any information on my Heat Pump defrost control board. I opened the cover and saw two jumpers... one on the "No Delay" pins and one on the "30" pins. I cannot find anything that explains what the difference between "No Delay" and "Delay" are. I assume if the jumpers are on "Delay" then the timer is used based on the second jumper and the defrost cycle will only happen after the timer has expired and the outside temp and temp inside the unit hit a certain level... and if the jumper is on "No Delay" the defrost cycle happens whenever the circuit board thinks it should based off of the outside temp and the temp inside the unit.

I have a Nordyne, MDL# FT5BD-048K outside and a Westinghouse, MDL# B5BM-T49K-C inside.

Can anybody clarify this for me?

Thanks,
    Seth Cooper

Call the company who installed this unit, as we cannot assist with DIY adjustments/repairs.

Hi Wahoo,

I'm not asking for your advice on how to adjust it or repair it... I'm asking if you can educate me on the settings just for my own knowledge and the general concept of how it works.

Seth

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-08-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

TXTech1, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by sethcoop View Post
    Hello,

I cannot find any information on my Heat Pump defrost control board. I opened the cover and saw two jumpers... one on the "No Delay" pins and one on the "30" pins. I cannot find anything that explains what the difference between "No Delay" and "Delay" are. I assume if the jumpers are on "Delay" then the timer is used based on the second jumper and the defrost cycle will only happen after the timer has expired and the outside temp and temp inside the unit hit a certain level... and if the jumper is on "No Delay" the defrost cycle happens whenever the circuit board thinks it should based off of the outside temp and the temp inside the unit.

I have a Nordyne, MDL# FT5BD-048K outside and a Westinghouse, MDL# B5BM-T49K-C inside.

Can anybody clarify this for me?

Thanks,
    Seth Cooper
    Delay shuts the heat pump down for 30 seconds before going into defrost, sort of a quiet shift into defrost. Has no bearing on when it goes into defrost.
    Contractor locator map

Hi beenthere,

I found this document on my defrost board... http://mobilehomerepair.com/media/im...ne/917178A.pdf

It appears that the delay/no-delay pins are for compressor operation when coming out of defrost and the default setting on my board is "no-delay". If it was set on "Delay" then it would have a 30 second delay to prevent noise.

The 30, 60, 90 pins next to the delay/no-delay jumper is for how many minutes the defroster delays before engaging with the factory set at 30 minutes.

Do you agree with these statements?

Seth Cooper

It's nuts that Nordyne sets their heat pumps at 30 minutes. In a cold climate, maybe 60 minutes, mild climate 90 minutes. That just tells how often the board should run the timer with a cold coil before defrosting.

Quote Originally Posted by sethcoop View Post
    Hi beenthere,

I found this document on my defrost board... http://mobilehomerepair.com/media/im...ne/917178A.pdf

It appears that the delay/no-delay pins are for compressor operation when coming out of defrost and the default setting on my board is "no-delay". If it was set on "Delay" then it would have a 30 second delay to prevent noise.

The 30, 60, 90 pins next to the delay/no-delay jumper is for how many minutes the defroster delays before engaging with the factory set at 30 minutes.

Do you agree with these statements?

Seth Cooper
    The 30, 60, 90 is how many minutes of compressor run time between defrost cycles after the defrost stat senses the temp is low enough to need defrost.
    Contractor locator map

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

Last edited by beenthere; 07-16-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

DrZboczek, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map