Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What Are The 10 Worst Regulations of 2012?

What Are The 10 Worst Regulations of 2012?

It seems that no aspect of American life can escape government regulation. In the past year, regulators drafted rules that addressed everything from caloric intake to dishwasher efficiency.

Most of these rules increase the cost of living, others hinder job creation, and many erode freedom. Not all regulations are unwarranted, of course, but increasingly, the rules imposed by the government have less to do with health and safety and more to do with whether government or individuals get to make basic pocketbook and lifestyle decisions that affect them. And it is not just the regulators who are to blame. Congress writes laws that give unelected bureaucrats the broad powers they wield.
    Today we bring you 10 of the worst regulations from 2012:
    1. HHS’s Contraception Mandate
    The Department of Health and Human Services on February 15 finalized its mandate that all health insurance plans include coverage for abortion-inducing drugs, sterilization procedures, and contraceptives. To date, 42 cases with more than 110 plaintiffs are challenging this restriction on religious liberty.
    2. EPA Emissions Standards
    The EPA in February finalized strict new emissions standards for coal- and oil-fired electric utilities. The benefits are highly questionable, with the vast majority being unrelated to the emissions targeted by the regulation. The costs, however, are certain: an estimated $9.6 billion annually.
    3. Fuel Efficiency Standards
    In August, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in tandem with the Environmental Protection Agency, finalized fuel efficiency standards for cars and light trucks for model years 2017–2025. The rules require a whopping average fuel economy of 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025. Sticker prices will jump by hundreds of dollars.
    4. New York’s 16-Ounce Soda Limit
    Not all regulations come from Washington. On September 13, at the behest of Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the New York City Board of Health banned the sale of soda and other sweetened drinks in containers larger than 16 ounces.
    5. Dishwasher Efficiency Standards
    Regulators admit that these Department of Energy rules will do little to improve the environment. Rather, proponents claim they will save consumers money. But they will also increase the price of dishwashers, and only about one in six consumers will keep his or her dishwasher long enough to recoup the cost.
    6. School Lunch Standards
    The U.S. Department of Agriculture in January published stringent nutrition standards for school lunch and breakfast programs. More than 98,000 elementary and secondary schools are affected—at a cost exceeding $3.4 billion over the next four years.
    7. Quickie Union Election Rule
    In April, the National Labor Relations Board issued new rules that shorten the time allowed for union-organizing elections to between 10 and 21 days. This leaveslittle time for employees to make a fully informed choice on unionizing, threatening to leave workers and management alike under unwanted union regimes.
    8. Essential Benefits Rule
    Under Obamacare, insurers in the individual and small group markets will be forced to cover services that the government deems to be essential. Published on November 26, the HHS list of very broad benefits has created enormous uncertainty about the extent of essential treatment.
    9. Electronic Data Recorder Mandate
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on December 13 issued a notice of proposed rulemaking to mandate installation of electronic data recorders, popularly known as “black boxes,” in most light vehicles starting in 2014. The government mandate understandably spooks privacy advocates.
    10. “Simplified” Mortgage Disclosure and Servicing Rules
    In July, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau released its proposal for a more “consumer friendly” mortgage process, with a stated goal of simplifying home loans. The rules run an astonishing 1,099 pages. Then, one month later, the bureau proposed more than 560 pages of rules for mortgage servicing.
    No End in Sight
    As busy as regulators were in 2012, do not look for them to slow down in the new year. We’ll continue to document the real-life impact with our ongoing Tales of the Red Tape series on The Foundry.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

I don't see anything wrong with regulations number 3,4,6 and 9

Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with regulations number 3,4,6 and 9

3: Prices will jump by thousands, hundreds is a pipe dream, and we will all begin to pay for it now for all the RD to get there.

4: You see no problem with the Govt. taking away your freedom of choice on something so ridiculously inconsequential as a soda? Wow.

6: Increased cost to the tax payers, AND the kids are throwing away food at record rates because they don't like the new menu. If mommy and daddy cant get Jr. to eat their veggies what makes you think big mother Obama can?

9: First step towards taxing drivers on miles they drive. We already pay for that with gas taxes. Oh, yeah, they will lose money with mandate 3 above, my bad.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    [FONT="][/FONT]
    [FONT="][/FONT]
    [FONT="][FONT="]What Are The 10 Worst Regulations of 2012?

[/FONT]

It seems that no aspect of American life can escape government regulation. In the past year, regulators drafted rules that addressed everything from caloric intake to dishwasher efficiency.[/FONT]

[FONT="]Most of these rules increase the cost of living, others hinder job creation, and many erode freedom. Not all regulations are unwarranted, of course, but increasingly, the rules imposed by the government have less to do with health and safety and more to do with whether government or individuals get to make basic pocketbook and lifestyle decisions that affect them. And it is not just the regulators who are to blame. Congress writes laws that give unelected bureaucrats the broad powers they wield.[/FONT][FONT="][/FONT]
    [FONT="]Today we bring you 10 of the worst regulations from 2012:[/FONT]
    [FONT="]1.[/FONT][FONT="] [FONT="]HHS’s Contraception Mandate[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT="]The Department of Health and Human Services on February 15 finalized its mandate that [FONT="]all[/FONT] health insurance plans include coverage for abortion-inducing drugs, sterilization procedures, and contraceptives. To date, 42 cases with more than 110 plaintiffs are challenging this restriction on religious liberty.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]2.[/FONT][FONT="] [FONT="]EPA Emissions Standards[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT="]The EPA in February finalized strict new emissions standards for coal- and oil-fired electric utilities. The benefits are highly questionable, with the vast majority being unrelated to the emissions targeted by the regulation. The costs, however, are certain: an estimated $9.6 billion annually.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]3.[/FONT][FONT="] [FONT="]Fuel Efficiency Standards[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT="]In August, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in tandem with the Environmental Protection Agency, finalized fuel efficiency standards for cars and light trucks for model years 2017–2025. The rules require a whopping average fuel economy of 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025. Sticker prices will jump by hundreds of dollars.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]4. New York’s 16-Ounce Soda Limit[/FONT][FONT="][/FONT]
    [FONT="]Not all regulations come from Washington. On September 13, at the behest of Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the New York City Board of Health banned the sale of soda and other sweetened drinks in containers larger than 16 ounces.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]5.[/FONT][FONT="] [FONT="]Dishwasher Efficiency Standards[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT="]Regulators admit that these Department of Energy rules will do little to improve the environment. Rather, proponents claim they will save consumers money. But they will also increase the price of dishwashers, and only about one in six consumers will keep his or her dishwasher long enough to recoup the cost.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]6.[/FONT][FONT="] [FONT="]School Lunch Standards[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT="]The U.S. Department of Agriculture in January published stringent nutrition standards for school lunch and breakfast programs. More than 98,000 elementary and secondary schools are affected—at a cost exceeding $3.4 billion over the next four years.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]7. Quickie Union Election Rule[/FONT][FONT="][/FONT]
    [FONT="]In April, the National Labor Relations Board issued new rules that shorten the time allowed for union-organizing elections to between 10 and 21 days. This leaveslittle time for employees to make a fully informed choice on unionizing, threatening to leave workers and management alike under unwanted union regimes.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]8. Essential Benefits Rule[/FONT][FONT="][/FONT]
    [FONT="]Under Obamacare, insurers in the individual and small group markets will be forced to cover services that the government deems to be essential. Published on November 26, the HHS list of very broad benefits has created enormous uncertainty about the extent of essential treatment.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]9. Electronic Data Recorder Mandate[/FONT][FONT="][/FONT]
    [FONT="]The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on December 13 issued a notice of proposed rulemaking to mandate installation of electronic data recorders, popularly known as “black boxes,” in most light vehicles starting in 2014. The government mandate understandably spooks privacy advocates.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]10. “Simplified” Mortgage Disclosure and Servicing Rules[/FONT][FONT="][/FONT]
    [FONT="]In July, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau released its proposal for a more “consumer friendly” mortgage process, with a stated goal of simplifying home loans. The rules run an astonishing 1,099 pages. Then, one month later, the bureau proposed more than 560 pages of rules for mortgage servicing.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]No End in Sight[/FONT][FONT="][/FONT]
    [FONT="]As busy as regulators were in 2012, do not look for them to slow down in the new year. We’ll continue to document the real-life impact with our ongoing Tales of the Red Tape series on The Foundry.[/FONT]
    I would read the 800 new laws that Kalifornia passed but I figure I might wait around for Wolfie to provide a break down.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    3: Prices will jump by thousands, hundreds is a pipe dream, and we will all begin to pay for it now for all the RD to get there.

4: You see no problem with the Govt. taking away your freedom of choice on something so ridiculously inconsequential as a soda? Wow.

6: Increased cost to the tax payers, AND the kids are throwing away food at record rates because they don't like the new menu. If mommy and daddy cant get Jr. to eat their veggies what makes you think big mother Obama can?

9: First step towards taxing drivers on miles they drive. We already pay for that with gas taxes. Oh, yeah, they will lose money with mandate 3 above, my bad.
    3. Speculation. Maybe foreign auto manufactures will refuse to pay for RD and this will give our auto industry a leverage?

4. No. I do not drink soft beverages, but if someone does, what is the problem to buy more 16oz bottles instead one 3L bottle?

6. If kid gets hungry he will eat healthy food.

9. Speculation. In case of accident, black box would provide crucial information.

Obviously folks do not have much knowledge of history and human nature...

NO speculation about it... just go back and study history... it is all there for those that care to learn.

Literally every item in that list has been done in one way or another in the last couple of decades... and EVERY time the consumer ended up paying more and having less.

And NO... kids will not eat healthy just because they are hungry... Kids can live on soda and chips for years. And they will.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

2. EPA Emissions Standards
    The EPA in February finalized strict new emissions standards for coal- and oil-fired electric utilities. The benefits are highly questionable, with the vast majority being unrelated to the emissions targeted by the regulation. The costs, however, are certain: an estimated $9.6 billion annually.
    For six years, Cynthia Gilmour, senior scientist at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, led a research team that annually poured a teaspoon of mercury isotope, diluted in water, into a small, remote lake in Northwestern Ontario.

Dr. Gilmour and her colleagues from the United States and Canada wanted to determine the environmental impacts of new deposits of mercury – a powerful brain toxin – into a lake that already had high background levels. The ELA was the one place in the world where they could do that.

In the mercury-related research, scientists found that newly introduced mercury enters the food chain far more quickly than existing sources and that lakes and aquatic life recover quickly when deposits stop.

Dr. Gilmour said the research – primarily funded by U.S. institutions – helped persuade American regulators to force utilities to remove the element from the emissions of coal-fired power plants, with the expectation the move would save tens of billions of dollars annually in health costs associated with mercury poisoning.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4226074/

3. Fuel Efficiency Standards
    In August, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in tandem with the Environmental Protection Agency, finalized fuel efficiency standards for cars and light trucks for model years 2017–2025. The rules require a whopping average fuel economy of 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025. Sticker prices will jump by hundreds of dollars.
    Well if you increased fuel efficiency you would not be buying as much oil from us, maybe you have a point. So how many gallons do you get for 'hundreds of dollars'? You would think that you would save a couple of hundred each year in fuel costs by gaining just one mile per gallon.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

And NO... kids will not eat healthy just because they are hungry... Kids can live on soda and chips for years. And they will.
    You think that "Food Nazis" going to extend of inspecting student lunch boxes and confiscating unhealthy food brought from home, would allow soda and chips vending machines on school property?

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4226074/

Well if you increased fuel efficiency you would not be buying as much oil from us, maybe you have a point. So how many gallons do you get for 'hundreds of dollars'? You would think that you would save a couple of hundred each year in fuel costs by gaining just one mile per gallon.
    Funny what you will be getting is garbage to drive around in that cost a fortune and not be able to carry any weight (folks, groceries, luggage, etc.)

This is clearly evident for all with any common sense to see except for a super green environmentalist. I would hope that you will see that printer. I have not put you in the same category as some of the "liberal" spinners on here who will spin the truth and never admit the real truth. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post

Funny what you will be getting is garbage to drive around in that cost a fortune and not be able to carry any weight (folks, groceries, luggage, etc.)

This is clearly evident for all with any common sense to see except for a super green environmentalist. I would hope that you will see that printer. I have not put you in the same category as some of the "liberal" spinners on here who will spin the truth and never admit the real truth. Thank you, thank you very much
    Apparently you haven't seen the newer cars and trucks....the problem is we have the technology to drive cheaply and comfortably for decades.... gas mileage has slowly getting better over the years.

Like a business they are only releasing what they HAVE to in order to sell vehicles.

3 & 4 should be left to individual/parental discretion. I'm a grown man who can decide for myself what size soda I want to buy. I'm also smart enough to decide what foods are healthy enough for my child to eat without having the school system holding my hand. Teach my daughter to read and write and let me raise her.

Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    Apparently you haven't seen the newer cars and trucks....the problem is we have the technology to drive cheaply and comfortably for decades.... gas mileage has slowly getting better over the years.

Like a business they are only releasing what they HAVE to in order to sell vehicles.
    Wish I could believe that but the only thing I have seen in the "high MPG" cars are glorified scooters with a cab, high price and room for two sardines. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them."
    Barry Goldwater

Gas mileage is measured using 100% gasoline, then congress mandates 10%+ alcohol, to be sure that we can't get the mileage we purchased.

Fuel standards are not the reason that the senators and house member positions were established. Just another example of government screwing up the lives of the citizens. Big headed politicians regulate car fuel standards then fly all over the globe. How many gallons of consumption do they create? Big O flew Air Force One to Hawaii twice for this last idiot show. The laws are for the people - not the politicans.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast