Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

How many amps should a good charged 120 and 240 window unit ac compressor run at?

I know a fridge usually runs around 1-1.3 but what about window units? I got a call yesterday for a no cooling window unit and I love amping the compressor. Thanks in advance

Post Likes
    what does the compressor say ? or the nameplate ? no one can give you a definite answer

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Asm Mechanical View Post
    what does the compressor say ? or the nameplate ? no one can give you a definite answer

I cant remember. but does the same 10% of the total LRA apply in this situation?

Post Likes
    LRA would be a very high reading....i never heard of 10% of LRA.....LRA is a locked compressor and will trip breaker....if nothing is available then thats when experience comes into play pressures temps etc

Post Likes
    LRA would be a very high reading....i never heard of 10% of LRA.....LRA is a locked compressor and will trip breaker....if nothing is available then thats when experience comes into play pressures temps etc

Do you know a general Lra of a window unit compressor. Something you can use just for demonstration purposes of my question?

Post Likes

Do you know a general Lra of a window unit compressor. Something you can use just for demonstration purposes of my question?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Deezo View Post
    I know a fridge usually runs around 1-1.3 but what about window units? I got a call yesterday for a no cooling window unit and I love amping the compressor. Thanks in advance
    It all depends on the size of the unit and compressor. You haven't provided the information we need to give an answer.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Rla is running load amps. Should be on comp. Or unit name plate. If all you can find is LRA, I was once told 1/7th of LRA is typically about what your RLA.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by makr View Post
    Rla is running load amps. Should be on comp. Or unit name plate. If all you can find is LRA, I was once told 1/7th of LRA is typically about what your RLA.
    Bad advise!

RLA / FLA are rarely listed due to techs trying to get it there. As the suction and head pressure drop so does the amp draw. Go to the compressor manufactures web site and down load the performance curve for the given temperature and pressures.

10. Likes FourT5Guy, tmt liked this post
    Post Likes
    Exactly. There are so many factors that affect the current draw of an operating compressor. As long as the unit is performing to design standards, anything below the listed RLA is ok(within reason). I would start being concerned when you exceed the listed RLA during normal operation.

12. Likes ksefan liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FourT5Guy View Post
    Exactly. There are so many factors that affect the current draw of an operating compressor. As long as the unit is performing to design standards, anything below the listed RLA is ok(within reason). I would start being concerned when you exceed the listed RLA during normal operation.
    True. Thanks

Post Likes
    Another quick question...i see most techs say 125 is a good preasure for a fridege om the gauges but it seems like they are looking at the r22 ring most of the time. Does it have to be the r134a ring on the gauge?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Deezo View Post
    Another quick question...i see most techs say 125 is a good preasure for a fridege om the gauges but it seems like they are looking at the r22 ring most of the time. Does it have to be the r134a ring on the gauge?
    Are you referring to the low side gauge or the high side? 125# is a good bit high if we're talking about suction pressure on an R-22 refrigeration system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast