Thread: How much oil?

Hybrid View

How much oil?

I am working on a commercial refrigerator. It holds 10 oz of 134a. How much oil do i add to it when i change the spun copper dryer. ( the electric was rubbing it and rubbed a hole in its side. I know this sounds stupid but i mainly focous on residental HVAC but it being winter and all i figured id give it a shot. Its for a major fast food chain id like to continue working for ... any help would be great.

In most cases, none, although if it made a big oily mess and you are worried about it you might want to call up the commercial refrigerator company, or a good parts house that stocks its brand of compressor and ask them how much the compressor holds. Then cut out the compressor and tip it upside down for a while to drain out the oil, and then measure in new oil. While you are at it, ditch the crappy copper spun deal and replace it with a real filter drier. Use the smallest filter drier you can get, or else it can cause problems.

Or better yet, tell the customer that the unit isn't worth this much work and suggest that they buy a new one. They won't like to hear that, but it is usually the best option.

Don't worry so much about the oil charge. A bigger concern is how much moisture was drawn in. Bottom line is that system is to small to go crazy with it.
    When replacing spun copper driers i only use 032 CAP - T.

I got it done.. found an excat part match weled it in no problems.. i didn't know so i added 1 oz by wt for the oil.. from a vac then pulled the vac down for 30 mins.. it worked tho no more leak..