Post Likes

Right size for house and compatibility of Outdoor AC unit and Coil

Hello- I am looking for a second opinion. I live in a 2 story house in South Carolina. The house is approx 2,450 Hsf. It was built in 2002 and the original 2.0 ton Lennox system gave out. We decided to go with a contractor highly recommended by a good friend. I was happy with everything BUT.... After his employees installed the outdoor unit and evaporator coil, he realize that he accidentally ordered a 2.5 ton unit instead of a 2.0 ton unit. He said I could decide whether or not to keep the larger unit or go back to the original 2.0 ton unit we agreed on. He said he worked the numbers and it was "right on the edge" of being the right size for my house. Other than the right size for the house, I was also concerned about the compatibility of the outdoor unit with the evaporator coil.

Original Estimate he planned to install the Trane XR-14 (2.0 ton...he said it would be 16.25 SEER).

Unit he accidentally installed: XR-16 (2.5 ton) model#
    4TTR6030J1000AA

The Evaportor Coil model#
    4TXCB004DS3HCAA

He said he would fix his mistake if I was not happy with it. It's been in the house nearly 3 weeks now. Humidity is aroud 44%-51% and it seems to keep the the downstairs comfortable.

What do you think? Thanks!

Post Likes
    It sounds like you're fine. If that system can maintain 44-51%RH in the South Carolina humidity, then you should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes mkovack liked this post
    Post Likes
    During low/no sensible cooling loads and high outdoor dew points, neither unit will keep the home dry. You got a good setup, stick with the larger unit. You will love it on the really hot days and visitors.
    For <50%RH during low/no cooling loads, get a small whole house dehumidifier, like the Ultra-Aire, a site sponsor.
    Keep us posted on the %RH during wet cool days and evenings.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP.

When your old unit was working okay. Did it ever have trouble maintaining temp? What RH did it keep your house?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?