gas valve locked out

Installed a heat & glow vented insert with remote t-stat 8 years ago. I have had 2 solinoids fail in that time. I recently replaced it again, but the valve wont open. Standing pilot very hot, I think O.K. How do I test thermocouple? If the pilot stays lit, it's O.K, right? How do I test thermopile? Im a licensed contractor with gas furnace experience, but this is Florida, gas heat is not big part of my business. This is my first (and only) fireplace. You northern guys likely deal with this every day. Thanks to any and all....

It is probably a bad connection in the on/off switch circuit. check all connections to make sure they are good and tight. and if you have a wall switch(light switch style) it may need to be replaced.

Thanks darth, good sense. I checked the connections, and someone had indeed flipped the rocker switch to off. I thought my ordeal was over, but it didnt make ane difference. Ill see if i can check the switch for function.

We cannot give DIY or step by step advice here in this forum. If you move it to the Pro section, we can give greater detailed instructions.