Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fan cycler was set too high to leave the condenser run? Good chance its not working and is the cause of the restriction.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

i don't think it is the fan cycle so much as the pressure issue. the fan cycle is detecting the liquid pressure (which is too low), and isn't cycling the fan on soon enough, by the time it does, the compressor relief is already bypassing.

What kind if unit is this your working on?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    Why sell a new unit when you can fix the old one? Must be a glorified sales tech!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Highly glorified must add!! thats why I make the big bucks

This should be a good one, the high superheat indicates a starving evaporator but the lack of subcooling is trouble.

The high excess compressor amperage is obviously telling you there is an issue. Im assuming this is a R22 system. Is it metering correctly? Can you range the SH? Your restriction could wind up being the TXV if its not the drier, kinked lines or the obvious.

It's been over a week now. Hopefully it's solved. Hopefully we'll hear about it...

Problem solved!

Internal filter drier was restricting flow. You know the ones i'm talking about, those POS copper FD's that trane put inside the unit. The mesh had actually come apart and the dessicant had come out of it.

Anyway, long story short, dumbass had low pressures, so he just kept adding refrigerant until the suction got above freezing.

Anyway, i speculate that because the system was so grossly overcharged there wasnt a temp drop across the internal FD. (There wasnt, i checked)

I recovered 18.5lbs of refrigerant, factory charge is 7.75, and i charged it to 13.75. System is running well, but there are some other issues that need attention.

Quote Originally Posted by wdshea View Post
    ... factory charge is 7.75, and i charged it to 13.75.
    ? Never mind. I just reviewed first post saw "split system". Congrats on solving it, Wdshea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12