Armstrong pressure switch problem

We have been experiencing way too many problems with these furnaces and looking to see if anyone has ran into this, many furnaces giving code 3, pressure switchable 95% armstrongs, flu is properly sized and clear, condensates are clear, but we keep getting calls on these, I show up check everything and find nothing, reset the furnace and they run for days, then we get a call again, now even if I touch nothing and reset it works, I always get 26 volts everything tests just fine, test the port with manometer and all is good,but me or any of our techs who are way more knowledgable than me cant figure out the problem, it is only with the ones with the square tubing, I have tried rerouting and still get callbacks,we quit installing these over a year ago and only install Bryant now and have no problems, but want to get the customers taken care of the right way with these Armstrong furnaces, we have checked all the obvious but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I hate unhappy customers, now it has been in the single digits here and I've heard they have this problem every year, is it a bad design where the tubing comes off the inducer housing,I think they are getting moisture in them and restricting air, any suggestions

Read and understand the install manual. Drain tubing and positioning is very critical.

Although I have not had any issues after correcting installer goofs, it is possible the Armstrong "installer manual" has mistakes.

I currently am fighting Armstrong over their costly error in their gas furnace manual.

Armstrong put out a Bulletin in March of 2012 on Pressure Switch issues. In this bulletin, they did not admit their pressure switches were bad, but stated that warranty claims on these switches (< 0.5%) mostly showed signs of being exposed to moisture, and that it was probably due to improper furnace installation, or incorrectly mounted condensate traps.

The complaints were on 90% plus furnace pressure switches manufactured before October 2011.

This bulletin was not a direction to replace said pressure switches, but did say that on units manufactured after that date (serial number 11K and later), a different switch was installed in new units with better contacts (gold alloy) to prevent oxidation and improve reliability.

It sounds like you have verified the installation was done exactly to manufacturers recommendations. So, if your troubled units are pre Oct. 2011, I would check with Armstrong Technical Services and see if you can get one of the newer (more reliable - according to them) pressure switches.

I emailed you the Bulletin that has a phone number on it for Technical Services.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Rundawg
    Could you send me a copy of that bulletin? We looked at an Armstrong last week with the same problem. Someone else installed it and this customer does not want them back in the house. So we inherited someone's problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
    Rundawg
    Could you send me a copy of that bulletin? We looked at an Armstrong last week with the same problem. Someone else installed it and this customer does not want them back in the house. So we inherited someone's problem.
    Check your inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    Check your inbox.

Got it.
    Your a Scholarly Gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by timjimbob View Post
    Read and understand the install manual. Drain tubing and positioning is very critical.

Although I have not had any issues after correcting installer goofs, it is possible the Armstrong "installer manual" has mistakes.

I currently am fighting Armstrong over their costly error in their gas furnace manual.
    What is the mistake?

Well I greatly appreciate your responses, I also have found something, and it's right in the install manual, putting an accelerator on the end of the flu, bringing it from 2" to 1 1/2 inches , and armstrong confirmed this, my question was if it is so important why does it not come with the furnace and why does the warehouse not only not stock them but have no clue what they are. Any comments on this?

Yes timjimbob what is the mistake, the furnace shows the p trap on the side and even has holes to install it there but I keep reading to lower it, is the mistake armstrongs ?

hk. 80% Downflow furnace cannot be vented out the side. Manual says it can.
    This has been expensive for me and Armstrong has promised financial resolution, but i'm still waiting.

I am a dealer and tech and dealer support is very good, though. I am very dissappointed that they never updated the manual or wrote a service bulletin.

I have not had problems with 95% furnace and follow the manual.

Hi, I would also be very interested in having a look at this March 2012 Bulletin. Technicians are unable to resolve a recurring issue with our Armstrong A96, installed 2010, other than to suggest new pressure switch. I would like to read into this further. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Preenter View Post
    Hi, I would also be very interested in having a look at this March 2012 Bulletin. Technicians are unable to resolve a recurring issue with our Armstrong A96, installed 2010, other than to suggest new pressure switch. I would like to read into this further. Thanks.
    I'm sorry, but we don't post manuals or technical information on this forum.

The bulletin basically says Armstrong is not admitting to pressure switch failures, but switches manufactured after a certain date, were going to have different contacts that would reduce oxidation and improve reliability.

The date your furnace was manufactured was before this bulletin came out, so the tech who is recommending changing the pressure switch is most likely correct if it has the original switch still installed.