Post Likes

Niagara Configuration Tools

Hello everyone,
    i am wondering if the niagara platforms Tools are common for all Jaces. For example we use EC-Net for programming distech EC-BOS, can i program JCI' FX Series or Honeywell Jace with the same tool?
    Or do i need FX workbench or whatever each company uses? Ok, the devices are all the same Tridium but do the companies 'lock' hardware with specific software for policy reasons?
    Thanks

Post Likes
    You need to dive into the NiCs world and figure out how the licensing works.

Need to check if their are any brand restrictions on the wb in/out on both your version of WB and the Jace your trying to connect to. Then any OEM specific jars that may also be brand restricted. HW webs Jaces will almost certainly be using the spuder jars, which will not likely run on easyIO WB. Webs can be ordered open or brand locked. Every FX Jace I have come across is brand locked to JCI. It may be my luck or JCI never had an open license option. The few I have peeked at via the web client, where full of JCI crapware which again is not likely to run on your WB.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    From my experiences I can tell you that Distech, Honeywell, and Trend branded Jaces will require their respective licenses to be able to utilize their wizards or plug-ins. What this means is that you won't be able to program/commission their controllers (or the Jace itself) utilizing a workbench license with a dissimilar branding from the Jace.

It's been my experience that JCI and Vykon Jaces are open to all workbench tools. To my knowledge, JCI isn't attempting to use the Jace to commission/program their controllers, so, in my opinion, there isn't necessarily any aspects of their appliance you would be missing if you decided to comission an Fx branded jace with a different brand of workbench. Their appliance really only makes sense if you're using their controllers exclusively.

I don't care much for the approach that Distech and Honeywell have taken with the Jace. I think it sounded like a good idea at first, but if you've spent any significant amount of time working within NiagaraAx systems you've probably come to resent it. Tridium has enough issues of their own, and adding additional layers just makes it more aggrivating.

There are some aspects of Honeywell Jaces that you have access to if you are running a Vykon license, but not all of them. There are some documents out there that summerize the various compatibilities, and they can be sourced from a Google search.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeckham View Post
    From my experiences I can tell you that Distech, Honeywell, and Trend branded Jaces will require their respective licenses to be able to utilize their wizards or plug-ins. What this means is that you won't be able to program/commission their controllers (or the Jace itself) utilizing a workbench license with a dissimilar branding from the Jace.

It's been my experience that JCI and Vykon Jaces are open to all workbench tools. To my knowledge, JCI isn't attempting to use the Jace to commission/program their controllers, so, in my opinion, there isn't necessarily any aspects of their appliance you would be missing if you decided to comission an Fx branded jace with a different brand of workbench. Their appliance really only makes sense if you're using their controllers exclusively.

I don't care much for the approach that Distech and Honeywell have taken with the Jace. I think it sounded like a good idea at first, but if you've spent any significant amount of time working within NiagaraAx systems you've probably come to resent it. Tridium has enough issues of their own, and adding additional layers just makes it more aggrivating.

There are some aspects of Honeywell Jaces that you have access to if you are running a Vykon license, but not all of them. There are some documents out there that summerize the various compatibilities, and they can be sourced from a Google search.
    Thanks, good to know. Nowdays i am testing EasyIO controllers with Distech EC-Net, there is compatibility.

Post Likes
    EasyIO, primarily utilizing the Sedona environment, will be comapible with any branded Jace (or workbench) that has the Sedona environment loaded into it. I believe EasyIO is open to all other workbench tools.

I primarily use EasyIO and JCI Fx controllers (occasionally their branded jaces) and Vykon jaces. I'm looking into AIC wireless, and I'll probably start using them for certain applications soon.

Post Likes
    EasyIO, primarily utilizing the Sedona environment, will be comapible with any branded Jace (or workbench) that has the Sedona environment loaded into it. I believe EasyIO is open to all other workbench tools.

I primarily use EasyIO and JCI Fx controllers (occasionally their branded jaces) and Vykon jaces. I'm looking into AIC wireless, and I'll probably start using them for certain applications soon.
    We were also BIG fans of JCI FX controllers, did everything with it, but we were announced that they are discontinued.... FEC/FAC series seems a little trouble, too complicated tool for no reason.... Satisfied with EasyIO? We use them for the first time.... Seems like a worth to try situation.....

Post Likes
    The "New" FX-PCx products (FEC's distriduted by the ABCS channel) use a separate programming tool (PCT vs. CCT) and can be programmed using the FX-30/60/70 as a BACnet Router as long as the FX has the BACnet license in it. I don't know if that applies to other branded Jace's.

The PCT application software has to be purchased separately. It can be a bit cumbersome to do non-standard programming but the System Selection option streamlines most of the common application groups. PCT has it's drawbacks but I think it is much more user friendly than the FX-Builder was but I have a mental block when it comes to LON. I was told FX-Builder was LON based and then converted (perverted) for use with N2 and BACnet.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

Post Likes
    Distech has no licensing restrictions. The plugins are not licensed and can be freely installed on any PC or even used via a PC accessing the system via a browser. You do have to install them though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JSLLC4Life View Post
    Distech has no licensing restrictions. The plugins are not licensed and can be freely installed on any PC or even used via a PC accessing the system via a browser. You do have to install them though.

That is indeed correct, however you can not use all their productivity enhancing (auto graphic generation) tools if it is not a Distech Jace, not a big deal, just a way from them to enhance the experience for their integrators.

Kevin
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new. - Dalai Lama

Post Likes
    I meant the Fx "PC" line of controllers and not the original Fx line.

So far, I've been very pleased with what I've been able to accomplish with EasyIO controllers.

I only spent a short time with Distech products several years ago, and I thought I remembered not being able to commission their jace with a different brand of workbench... I could be wrong about it though, or maybe they changed what they are doing with the licenses. Either way, it's been a while.

Post Likes
    Indeed, we also used Distech Jace as a BACnet Router to download to FX BACnet series from FXComProBacnet. It doesn't matter which company is used as long the protocols are the same.
    PCT is CCT programming tool are for 'white' FEC/FAC aren't they? They are the same, just JCI labeling for ABCS's and representatives as far as i know....