Leak dyes and quick seals - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have used it with great success. Took a long time to try it, but finally a while back used it first on my own home where I had a slow (add a little every year, under ground lines..30 + year old unit.. etc) leak. Has been perfect for 4 or 5 years now. I have a H10 that will find just about any leak, but can't always get to every spot, so if the leak is small enough and inaccessable.... the can goes in. Not a failed unit yet out of about 10 in last 5 or so years.

Wow, I expected the ususal refrigerant and oil bashing. I have used Easy dry and easy seal on at least 30 units with great results.
    Twilly is my hero!

We tried "super seal" when it first came out with horrible luck, however this last summer we used New Calgon's "easy seal" on a couple of units (actually 4 total) and it worked every time. No problems. They may have improved "super seal" however not wanting a repeat, so will stick with New Calgon's product! We only use it on older units where HO does not want to replace components. We simply state if it does not work, we'll discount the replacement for the charge for the sealer.

LEAK FREEZE is the only i will even consider and that ia if the customer asks or they need one to two weeks before replacement could be done. One customer is still running and its been about a year. the product doesn't react to oxygen or moisture and when the refrigerant is removed from the system is goes with it. I couldn't beleive it. I've checked the charge twice!

I wont use it.. Yet I respect those that do..

How about the use of these sealers on an empty system? I had one yesterday that had a leak and the maintenance man told me he knew it was a bad schraeder, told me to change it and charge it. after digging out the broken schraeder i could only get it down to 7500 microns after 2 hours of evacuating (3 ton HP) so i figured it still had a small leak somewhere. I gave him our leak detection prices, vs the easy seal and he chose the easy seal. how likely are we to end up with problems from the 7500 mic evac? It's a 20 year old carrier that should be replaced but it's a commercial job in a big plant where gas n gos are their first choice on everything. "Just get it running ASAP."
    Last edited by jmsmars1; 04-12-2013 at 06:38 AM. Reason: grammer
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

anyone use "super seal" on the older York Blue Fin coils with any luck?

It seems York was/is having an issue with there Blue Fin coils, I was wondering if anyone has tried any "sealing" agents on them
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

I have used super seal a few times with about 50/50 results on slowing/stopping the leak. No compressor failures. I have not used it in years.
    -Marty

I dont like any of it!
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Only oil and refrigerant for me. However I did use some once on a little 3 ton server room unit to get through a heat spell. It worked for 3 months and the owner of the bldg had me replace the unit. I guess I'd use it in a pinch.

I have to admit "Leak Freeze" sealed 9, yes 9 u-bend tube leaks a 32 yr old Lennox Evaporator. It did last so long the client bailed on replacing the equipment. Now I do not bring up the subject knowing I will lose to replacing the equipment because it worked beyond expectations. The client must not have cared about the rotted drain pan pouring into the down flow ducts.

I posted this in another thread but its also relavent here:

"Stop leak got a bad rep because of misapplication. It only successfully seals
    one specific type of leak (and that type, formicary corrosion, can be difficult to determine) and if its added to equipment with wet oil...well...."Say goodnight Gracie" cause its over."

Calgon was first to include a chemical drier to dry out the system oil (the cause of compressor lockups since the sealant reacts to H2O) and now super seal does also. I use it only when I'm sure it'll work.

"If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    Wayne Pendergast, efficientcomfort.net

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    anyone use "super seal" on the older York Blue Fin coils with any luck?

It seems York was/is having an issue with there Blue Fin coils, I was wondering if anyone has tried any "sealing" agents on them
    No because York was supplying new coil and a fair labor allowance and $ for refer to replace them. They just recently changed the warranty on blue coils to 1 year past original warranty period. I found one a month ago that had a blue coil and was 6 years and 2 months old and only had a 5 year warranty, first one I've found that York won't cover.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12