Leak dyes and quick seals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leak dyes and quick seals

I have never used "dye" to find a leak. I was wondering what everybody's experience with them was?
    Also "stop leak" which is placed in the refrigeration circuit to stop minor leaks. Anybody use it with success?

I mainly believe that nothing should be put in the refrigerant circuit but oil and refrigerant. Is this the prevalent belief. Would love to hear opinions and field experience on these two "products"
    thanks, waregl82

I just installed the leak stop on a prep table for a customer who has a leaky evap coil. I told him to keep his fingers crossed. He opted out on new coil, and plans on buying new unit.
    I'm not too confident in it, but will see how long he can get by on this miracle glue!
    I'll report back!
    sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

I have has descent luck. In a micro scale, my dehumidifier developed a leak in the Evap coil and would blow a charge every month. 2yrs ago I put some In and the unit still runs perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    I just installed the leak stop on a prep table for a customer who has a leaky evap coil. I told him to keep his fingers crossed. He opted out on new coil, and plans on buying new unit.
    I'm not too confident in it, but will see how long he can get by on this miracle glue!
    I'll report back!
    sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    What brand did you use, I've seen this new leak stop that comes with a Serenge and it looks like silicone, never used it just curious. I have used the leak stop in a can 4 times and has 2 locked down compressors in less than a month and havnt heard back from the other two, this was years ago and havnt used it since. I use dye occasionally to find a leak after exhausting all other options, a nitrogen test if you isolate is the best way to find a leak IMO. I've never had that good of luck with a sniffer it seems to go off randomly, maybe I just need a better one though.

Same luck as jtrammel on the leak stop. I used super seal a few times a few years ago. Locked a compressor in a reach in cooler, and a split. Never heard back from another one. As for dye I unfortunately use it a lot because it is company policy. "Throw a dye stick, charge it, get out. Oh and run 8 more service calls when your done." Havent had any major issues yet, but I don't trust the stuff. Pulling a good vacuum sucks, you get crap in all the hoses, and all over yourself. This past spring my injector was completely clogged with this red clumpy crap. I would stay away from both.

I cannot remember what the dehumidifier stuff was. I picked up a sample at comforttech a few years back and gave it a shot. Blue stuff in a seringe. Easy seal is what the company I work for uses. I know of about 20 uses personally with no fatalities that I know of this year. Next cooling season we will see...

First time I used leak seal I burnt the compressor. My company uses a different kind of leak seal now, that's "not supposed" to do this. I still opt to do the good old leak search and repair though, unless it is an apartment building with a 25 year old heat pump with flared fittings. Then I'll take the easy way out and add leak seal and tighten the fittings.

We have about a 50/50 success with it. Always advise the customer up front. We use the stuff in the can. If the leak is in the rail of a prep table it can be the only hope.

Dye stick what a mess, leak seal in a can locked up 1 compresor didnt work at all recently,one other time didnt hear anything back. At aprox. $45 a can don't beleive in it unless all thats left is the leak seal and a prayer.

I have used " a/c leak freeze " , it comes in a syringe . It is a blue liquid.

I have used it on small systems with small leaks and it has worked.
    I miss you mom and dad.

We have had good luck with leak seal in high rises where 85% of the line-set is buried in the building. Never lost a compressor that I have known about and we always tell the customer "dangers" up front.

Never use leak dye but have had my fair share of that crap stain tools/ gauges/ clothes. We use inficon electronic leak detectors and big blue

I have used it around 8 times over the coarse of around 5 years and only once did it not hold. Use the stuff with the moisture drier and uv dye. It's a lil more money but more reliable. Plus if it doesn't seal, at least you will know where the leak is. Also, imo pinhole leaks that are undetectable only.

I have used AC EasySeal from Nu Calgon several times (4?) with no problems yet. I threw it in my own unit before I put it in any of my customers. It worked so far with no negative fallout...yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast