+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trane rtu won't run from stat

Post Likes

Trane rtu won't run from stat

Working on a trane rtu YSCO60E3. I can jump out for heat at unit with test 1 test 2 but no control from stat It's a trane stat and I tried a Honeywell stat i had which I know works and same result. I checked for voltage at rtrm and have 0 volts across w and r,which shows me that it is calling. Before I condemn board(rtrm) is there something I am missing? Also can you only jump these trane units with test 1 and 2 or can you you jump across w and r on terminal strip on board cause It won't start that way?

Post Likes
    was there a conventional t-stat to begin with?

or a baysens?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    A trane stat to begin with, It has a Baysen number I believe, not sure exactly what a Baysen stat is, but it was wired by others in the same fashion as a conventional stat, what I do know is that is a warranty call and I am lead to believe that this unit never has ran, could that stat be wired in wrong spot. Right now the stat wire is on terminal strip on rtrm and on stat

Post Likes
    A wireing harness on comm board was connected to rtrm board, I removed harness and was able to control rtu from t-stat.

Post Likes
    What was the harness going to BAS?

Post Likes
    Not sure what BAS is but harness was connected from comm board to j4 plug on rtrm and another harness from blower section was run to comm unit. I took off comm to rtrm harness and plugged in harness from blower section to rtrm. This way I could run my stat using standard terminal strip y,we etc. also not entirely sure what rotom is though

Post Likes
    All the trane units i've worked on if it's a trane thermostat then then any standard thermostat will not work without installing the extra thermostat board first. You should be able to jump it out though. The wiring diagram will show you which numbers need to be jumped for heat/cooling etc...

Post Likes
    If its a reliatel board you can use any stat. Otherwise you will need an interface board to use a conventional stat.

Post Likes
    On all trane boards with a reliatell board or a ucp board you can hook the outside sensor to terminal #1 & 2... This will run the system at 68 heat and 72 cool.. Or there about depending on version... If you have the older ucp( the large board)this will in essence "jump" the board out. On the reliatell you can just jumper r-w, after removing wires from 123 etc.. Terminals 1 &2 are the thermistor inputs. Term 3 is the mode input when using a baysens stat.

Post Likes
    It was a reliatel board, because I was able to wire honeywell stat to board useing y,w,g etc and have control of rtu, not sure why the trane baystat would not work(tried two), wired exactly the same way on terminal strip, or maybe baystat's are wired on the 1,2,3,etc terminals on board.

On a side note I was working on anouther Trane rtu today and had a ignition board with 4 flashes on it, with ventor motor running, anyone happen to know what 4 flashes mean.

Post Likes
    before you get into these units any further; let me suggest you get all three of tranes books that deal with voyager & precedent units.

and don't be hooking anything up unless you have some idea of what it is your are attempting.

it looks like you attempted to hook a baysens on the cti portion of that reliatel board, now if tha t is greek, read the first sentence again.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    A BAYSEN device of any number isn't a thermostat. It's a sensor and control panel combination which communicates with the main control board in the unit and cannot be wired as or replaced by a standard thermostat without using an interface board (in the older generation controls) or using the conventional control terminals (in the newer generation controls).

Quote Originally Posted by iceage View Post
    A trane stat to begin with, It has a Baysen number I believe, not sure exactly what a Baysen stat is, but it was wired by others in the same fashion as a conventional stat, what I do know is that is a warranty call and I am lead to believe that this unit never has ran, could that stat be wired in wrong spot. Right now the stat wire is on terminal strip on rtrm and on stat

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in