Lennox G61MPV and Lennox G43UF

I have a 5 tons Lennox G61MPV natural gas furnace. I also have a 5 tons Lennox G43UF natural gas furnace which I do not use anymore (but is in perfect working order). Both units are about 5 years old.

Would it be possible to take the blower motor and control board of the G43UF and use them in the G61MPV? In other words, the G61MPV would operate like a G43UF.

Btw, I know that the G61MPV is a variable speed dual-stage furnace. While the G43UF is a 'traditional' furnace.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I suspect I would also need to use a different thermostat than the Lennox Signature Stat I currently use.

Not easily or very effectively, but it could be done by an above average tech.
    I would not advise it.
    Bite the bullet and replace the blower motor. It may be under warranty still.

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    Not easily or very effectively, but it could be done by an above average tech.
    I would not advise it.
    Bite the bullet and replace the blower motor. It may be under warranty still.
    Sorry I forgot to say that my G61MPV is working fine at the current moment. But just in case the control board or motor dies, I was thinking that it might be cheaper for me to get the guys (who did an excellent good job installing the A/C) to switch the blower motor and board. I understand it will make the G61MPV works as a 'traditional' furnace and it's fine with me.

Do I really need an above average tech??? Those two guys do commercial and residential heating and cooling, so I woudl assume they would be qualified??? I thought it would only mean a switch of blower motor & control board, maybe doing some adjustments on boards (?) and possibly switching my Signature Stat with a cheap thermostat. Am I missing something? All in all, it seems cheaper to me than paying $+ just for parts (assuming they would still be available when the G61MPV will be in trouble).

Thanks
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-08-2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Price

it could probably be made to work.
    as long as you have the blower and board from a G43 sitting around taking up space the G61 parts will probably never go bad.......

it would not be a simple plug and play on the board and motor, someone who knows what they're doing would have to do some rewiring. the other thing you would be doing is voiding all approvals and certifications that furnace was built with. if something bad happened you and whoever did it would be on the hook for it.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    it could probably be made to work.
    as long as you have the blower and board from a G43 sitting around taking up space the G61 parts will probably never go bad.......

it would not be a simple plug and play on the board and motor, someone who knows what they're doing would have to do some rewiring. the other thing you would be doing is voiding all approvals and certifications that furnace was built with. if something bad happened you and whoever did it would be on the hook for it.
    Thanks to both of you for your for your reply. It is appreciated.

Ted: Based on your reply, should I assume that it has never been done before???

Thanks.

people do silly stuff every day, i wouldn't say it has NEVER been done before.

i have been a Lennox dealer for over 30 years and have never seen it done.
    i also have a G61MPV furnace in my house and would not think of doing it.

I personally have been in that situation before. One night last winter on a cold night I had an elderly couple have a g61mpv furnace blower motor fail. I didn't have a variable speed motor with me so I went ahead and put a standard 115volt 3 speed motor in there until I got one orders for them under warranty. I just wired a relay in thqere so with a call for heat the motor would come on...now about putting a non variable single stage board into the g61mpv would be a lot more difficult but yes it can be done. Your average service tech could not do so however.
    95% of the service techs in this field know HVAC, however about ONLY 5% of the people in this field actually understand HVAC. There is a big difference in knowing something and actually understanding something.

it can be done.... why on earth you would go to all the work is beyond me...... and the furnace is no longer csa... or ul.. or cga approved.... don't even try it.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Thanks to all of you guys, you are really professionals. After what you wrote, I'll forget about this idea.

P.S. A furnace is just too important; every house should have two furnaces, so there would always be a back-up...