Old GE heat pump pkg unit

I am working on a customers system, yesterday I changed out the transformer, finally got voltage out for the 24 side, then today replaced thermostat. Accidentally put white wire where white would go but its on the conventional side so turned on system and it started smoking but it wasn't anything major. Just one of those two wire things where it has a square end with shrink rap around it, that is what burnt, not sure what it is though? so I cut the bad end put the wires together with wire nut, hooked therm white wire to aux/e, its a hunter brand. Compressor came on but condenser fan did not so I changed the capacitor still fan did not turn. What is that two wire thing for and at the thermostat there was a brown wire attached to the (T) terminal on the old thermostat which is a weathertron, what is that for? I'm not sure if the capacitor I put on was a good one, it was one I had on my truck, just not sure if it was old or new. I think it may just need a new capacitor but wanted to ask if anyone can help. This unit is really old probably over 30 years!

why was the x-former replaced?

why did you replace the t-stat?

the magic smoke coming out is major!

just what is "one of those two wire things where it has a square end with shrink rap around it"?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

This sounds sooo DIY, but I always give people the the benefit of the doubt.

Let me ask a few questions so I can get the BIG PICTURE of your problem……..

You mentioned "on the truck", so I'm guessing you are a Tech in the HVAC business - Correct?

What was the original problem?

What was the Model # of the unit?

What made you decide to change the Thermostat?

What made you think the cap was bad? Did you test the old and new cap?

What troubleshooting did you do, and what were the results, before you started any repairs?

Last but not least, I know you have read the Forum rules so you know we can't go into too much technical info in this "OPEN" Forum, but we are willing to guide you in the right direction IF you are a Tech.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.