Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    How many sq ft of glass are we talking about? .
    We are talking about whole wall (floor to ceiling) made out of huge 20 year old picture windows plus 2 huge skylights.

If you look at the the money to install all this equipment, the the money you will spend running them all, you could have bought new glass to knock down that radiant heat gain in the first place. Your plan is still a patch, you seem to be blind by it's complexity, cost and design to justify the money it will take to install.
    Maybe, I am not ready to answer one way or another.

If you had a two zone system conditioning the home now, one system for upstairs bedrooms and one for the downstairs living area. During the day you are not in the bedrooms, this is when the kitchen is hot. Take a supply duct from that system and installing the kitchen. This will work fine all day long. Then at night, when the heat gain is non existent in the kitchen the motorized damper will close directing the air back to the bedroom where it's needed.

You are doing a lot of work for a very small kitchen.

Assumtions..assumptions and assumptions again, I alredy have 2 systems and you want me to modify upstairs system to bring additional supply line in a kitchen??!! Are you serious??!!

I can't say for sure because, first of all I have pretty much open floor layout and secondly very ineffective current downdraft vent despite its well known name. It has the blower inside kitchen cabinet and it is loud and totally worthless as the pop-up is only 7.5". Bad design, really bad.

(Look at the duct under the house, youn have too many 90's, too long of a run or a bad install.)
    Assumtions..assumptions and assumptions again, it has only 1 (ONE)!! 90 elbow and the whole run is about 7 feet. Any more questions??!!

Yes I'm serious. Are you upstairs during the day? Are they just bedrooms? So does not that system just sit idle for the most part?

So....if you answered yes, lets use the compressor you already own and divert some air into the kitchen DURING THE DAY using a damper.....that will save you money. Have that damper controlled by it's own zone. This will work well with the radiant gain. I have installed many exhaust systems in all types of appliances and fans. What make stove is it? Thermador, wolf..............don't matter, you need a new window, everything you do now is for naught.
    Always here

Yes I'm serious. Are you upstairs during the day? Are they just bedrooms? So does not that system just sit idle for the most part?
    There are people upstairs so I won't do that.

What make stove is it? Thermador, wolf..............don't matter, you need a new window, everything you do now is for naught.
    And how much will it cost to replace regular huge double pains with low-e glass? And what will be the benefit? Any idea?

I can help if I knew the size of the window.
    Always here

I can help if I knew the size of the window.
    5 @ 70x25 and 3 @ 88x25 plus 2 huge skylights, I belive 48x24 each

Right now I'm trying to figure out how much of sidewall or ceiling exhaust fan I need in order to deal with both issues, - heat build-up under the sloped ceiling and remaining kitchen odors which were not totally taken out by my future newer downdraft pop-up vent. The reason I am laboring this issue so hard is quite simple, if I just wanted to address the heat buildup under the 45 degree sloped ceiling I won't need much CFM (small sidewall or rooftop fan mounted close to the top will take care of it) and I won't need to deal with MUA, however if I want another back-up to my downdraft, then I need to increase sidewall CFM and/or mount it lower so it will be able to pull kitchen air from the island. So, in short, I'm trying to find optimal implementation: fan position / location and CFM rating to address adequately both problems without resorting to MUA. I am still planning to install MS and return line. I'm just trying to figure out the most efficient and minimalistic approach to this pesky problem. I believe that return is a MUST (therefore it is not negotiable item, as far as I am concerned) I also feel that if I do everything else correctly I think I can forgo MS, because at that point I will create plenty cool air circulation in my kitchen which is currently non-existent.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123