Nest and variable speed

We installed three Trane 16i 2 speed systems and the owner of the new home owner provided us with the Nest thermostats he wanted to use and they have been running good but we had one system start short cycling and burned up the contactor. We replaced that thermostat with a Trane 803 because it appeared to be confusing the system and causing the short cycling. While there we noticed another stat was warm to the touch and when we killed power to the system and powered back up that system started short cycling.
    My question is will the Nest stat work with a variable system or are the controls being disturbed due to the wifi on the nest. Has anyone had similar issues with the nest?

Shouldn't make any difference. Do you try doing a manual set up on it? I know the Nest kind of learns what type of equipment it's connected to. Maybe the rectifier for the compressor solenoid is making it do weird stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

There are some real issues with Nest thermostats sending stray voltage signals to control wires that shouldn't be getting any voltage to them, even when the common connected.
    If you check around online, you will find many reported issues with Nest thermostats getting hot, and doing other crazy things.

It has also been my experience that power robbing type thermostats can cause strange issues with equipment that has a variable speed blower.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    There are some real issues with Nest thermostats sending stray voltage signals to control wires that shouldn't be getting any voltage to them, even when the common connected.
    If you check around online, you will find many reported issues with Nest thermostats getting hot, and doing other crazy things.

It has also been my experience that power robbing type thermostats can cause strange issues with equipment that has a variable speed blower.
    +1