Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have never done one but don't they make a side wall kit that would work in this application?

Where and how does it terminate?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Tjernlund makes one and they work great.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Hate to say it, but just because they make it, doesn't mean it's ok.

Where's hearthman when I need him?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

The chimney must be suitable for the class of service. Insist on having a qualified professional inspect the chimney and venting and document their findings in what's called a "level II" inspection.

If that blower generates positive flue gas pressure, then it is illegal. A blower can "assist" a natural draft but generally only on mid-efficiency furnaces that have heat exchangers so efficient and restrictive, it needs a little help to pull air through the combustion chamber to "prime" it or get it drafting. Then natural draft must take over. You want to insist your contractor is certified in carbon monoxide and combustion analysis and that they perform combustion analysis on this installation with just the boiler firing then everything including that clothes dryer. BTW, if that dryer is common vented into the chimney, that is a huge safety violation.

Some other issues that are red flags: cannot cover a vent connector (stove pipe) with foil tape, lack of proper pitch or support on vent connector pipe, probably insufficient makeup air, ensure each vent connector joint min. 3 equidistantly spaced screws/ joint.

If the chimney is tall enough and properly lined, you should not need a draft inducer. Fix the chimney or the boiler and it should work.

Bypassing a primary safety control such as a spill switch is gross negligence and putting you in immediate peril. If you or any occupant gets sick/ injured or dies, the tech who did that could go to jail.

I would recommend you draft a strongly worded letter with copies to the installing contractor, city inspector and fire marshal noting these issues and demanding they be corrected immediately stating you are shutting it down as it is an immediate hazard making the premises uninhabitable. Send the letter certified return receipt. Then, move out and keep receipts of all living expenses until it has been properly repaired and re-inspected by the qualified chimney inspector and passed combustion analysis by a certified pro. If this is a multi-family building understand your installation is putting neighbors at risk so you would have to notify them of the hazard in writing.

Then, once it has all been corrected and you're ready to move back in, have the certified CO technician install unlisted low level CO monitors in the home--one on each floor and within 15 LF of each sleeping room.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    The chimney must be suitable for the class of service. Insist on having a qualified professional inspect the chimney and venting and document their findings in what's called a "level II" inspection.

If that blower generates positive flue gas pressure, then it is illegal. A blower can "assist" a natural draft but generally only on mid-efficiency furnaces that have heat exchangers so efficient and restrictive, it needs a little help to pull air through the combustion chamber to "prime" it or get it drafting. Then natural draft must take over. You want to insist your contractor is certified in carbon monoxide and combustion analysis and that they perform combustion analysis on this installation with just the boiler firing then everything including that clothes dryer. BTW, if that dryer is common vented into the chimney, that is a huge safety violation.

Some other issues that are red flags: cannot cover a vent connector (stove pipe) with foil tape, lack of proper pitch or support on vent connector pipe, probably insufficient makeup air, ensure each vent connector joint min. 3 equidistantly spaced screws/ joint.

If the chimney is tall enough and properly lined, you should not need a draft inducer. Fix the chimney or the boiler and it should work.

Bypassing a primary safety control such as a spill switch is gross negligence and putting you in immediate peril. If you or any occupant gets sick/ injured or dies, the tech who did that could go to jail.

I would recommend you draft a strongly worded letter with copies to the installing contractor, city inspector and fire marshal noting these issues and demanding they be corrected immediately stating you are shutting it down as it is an immediate hazard making the premises uninhabitable. Send the letter certified return receipt. Then, move out and keep receipts of all living expenses until it has been properly repaired and re-inspected by the qualified chimney inspector and passed combustion analysis by a certified pro. If this is a multi-family building understand your installation is putting neighbors at risk so you would have to notify them of the hazard in writing.

Then, once it has all been corrected and you're ready to move back in, have the certified CO technician install unlisted low level CO monitors in the home--one on each floor and within 15 LF of each sleeping room.

HTH
    What he said.

"you just call...out my name...and you know...whereever I am....I'll come posting...."
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

The last paragraph of Hearthman's post is noteable, unlisted low level CO monitors . This is one instance where a UL listing is not necessarily a good thing.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

re: Boiler door has been left open

Hi,

We are living in the house because the basement is what got damaged. Unfortunately, We are dealing with New York City and they are just giving us the run around. Nobody has called to finish the job, nobody cares. The steel guy that put assisted motor has placed in a way that is leaning on another pipe, the pipe with hood attached with boiler looks crooked and boiler door is not in place. Boiler read 70 degrees at 3:30, I am sure it will be 170 or so at night.

Enough said.

Name:  boiler 010813.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  41.3 KBName:  boiler door off.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  44.4 KB
    Name:  2013-01-07 new pipe and hood .jpg
Views: 47
Size:  43.4 KB

National Grid just shut off the boiler, there was too much spillage from the diverter. They couldn't believe the way boiler has been installed.

Thank you for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by salbet View Post
    Hi,

We are living in the house because the basement is what got damaged. Unfortunately, We are dealing with New York City and they are just giving us the run around. Nobody has called to finish the job, nobody cares. The steel guy that put assisted motor has placed in a way that is leaning on another pipe, the pipe with hood attached with boiler looks crooked and boiler door is not in place. Boiler read 70 degrees at 3:30, I am sure it will be 170 or so at night.

Enough said.

Name:  boiler 010813.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  41.3 KBName:  boiler door off.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  44.4 KB
    Name:  2013-01-07 new pipe and hood .jpg
Views: 47
Size:  43.4 KB
    I feel bad for you. You really got screwed on that install. Hope you get it straightened out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

If I had to say one good thing about the boiler is that they is a drip lag on the gas line. Everything else look like crap and not done right.
    As for one floor being hotter then the other. If it is zoned they could of hooked the wrong t-stat to the wrong zone. Hope someone who know the stuff comes in and fixes it for you. Keep us up todate and post the after pic. I could see them redoing the hole thing.

Hearthman,

Thank you for your advice, we will write the letters you suggested. I went to a meeting for the area and told them my problem. One of my representatives will try to help and I also called some legal aid service for Hurricane Sandy victims.

Thank you all for your replies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12