Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

re: New Gas Boiler problem

Hi

I am new to this site but I in desperate need of advice. My house was damaged by Hurricane Sandy and we just installed a Weil-McLain boiler. The house is from 1925 and the flue pipe from boiler to chimney is 12”. New boiler was installed 12/21/12 and we have had problems from day one. The spill check shut off the system the following day and we had not heat. Different people came to fix the problem every single day, one person cut off spill check, another removed the damper, etc. until another team came on 12/28/12 and told us that the boiler was not installed correctly. They fixed the problem but someone still needed to come to fix spill check and they said we needed “an assisted motor” and this was installed today. I am waiting for electrician to come and reconnect everything else and make it work. The temperature on my second level is 80 degrees even if thermostat is below 50 and the first level is cool. What happened to our zoning? Is this assisted motor the solution? Is it loud? Safe? I am attaching pictures.
    We are at the mercy of a company that was hired by the City of New York and I am very stressed thinking that on top of my flood problem, I have a big problem with this boiler. I really had to learn about the terms and how things work but I am far from knowing a lot.
    I would appreciate any advice or guidance. I am very concerned.

Thank you very much

I forgot the attachments.Name:  2013-01-06 12.00.01.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  46.6 KBName:  2013-01-06 12.02.01.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  43.3 KB

12" diameter or length? Was the installer a licensed hydronics company? Hot up and cold down sounds like a circulation issue which could be air trapped in the system, a circulator pump issue or inoperative zone control(s). Cutting out the spill/dump switch is quite possiblibly the dumbest and potentially most fatal idea I've heard. Your description of the solution sounds like a draft booster which does not address any of your real problems. You need expert help for your issues as in a hydronics expert AND chimney expert.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

You need to get your county inspector out there and document everything.

You have a major issue with the venting of this boiler.

It appears that no one so far knows what their doing, due to the tape, and even using that assist motor in the first place.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by salbet View Post
    Hi

one person cut off spill check,
    That devices purpose is to shut the system down if it's spilling carbon monoxide into your house. Which is was doing.

That individual put your life in extreme danger.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Just saw your attachments so I am guessing that you ment 12 feet. Not to be rude but what kind of (expletive) company installed a new boiler and uses the old flue pipe? Then comes out and disables a MAJOR safety devise? The draft booster is installed incorrectly and is not the proper solution and is potentially dangerous installed as it is. Don't you have any type of building inspection department where you are located? If you do, by all means call them.
    Last edited by heaterman; 01-06-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: So pissed I can't even spell correctly

DEM

did they check how much draft it has? did they inspect the chimney? maybe it just needs a liner. you absolutly need to get a company who know boilers.

Thank you so much for your answers. Yes, I meant 12', and I know that the spill check shut itself off due to CO. I feel they have put our lives in danger. We have made endless calls to government agencies, one doesn't speak to the other, but with your answers, I have a better idea of what to do. We still can't believe that someone cut the spill check off. All these issues add to the stress of having a damaged basement and trying to pick up the pieces little by little.

Thank you very much.

I am in New York City.

They may have eliminated your zoning.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Nobody check how much draft it has, nobody inspected the chimeny

If they wired out the spill switch no telling what else they screwed up. My daughter lives in Long Island, I don't get up that way all that often, don't like big cities much

DEM

I hope you have carbon monoxide detectors in your home on all levels, including the basement.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast