+ Reply to Thread

Thread: register boot

Post Likes

register boot

Hi,

When installing a new floor register does the boot come up flush with the subfloor? Also, what is best way to fasten the boot to the flooring?

Post Likes
    yes.... nails.......
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    The boot should be flush with the floor...otherwise it will stick past and the register won't be flush. Carmon said nails but I use screws. Easier for me to get my drill with a flex bit into a 6x12 hole than it is for me to swing a hammer. Also, there will be air gaps in between the boot and the subfloor. A metal backed or better hardcast tape should be used to seal these leaks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Strkout499 View Post
    The boot should be flush with the floor...otherwise it will stick past and the register won't be flush. Carmon said nails but I use screws. Easier for me to get my drill with a flex bit into a 6x12 hole than it is for me to swing a hammer. Also, there will be air gaps in between the boot and the subfloor. A metal backed or better hardcast tape should be used to seal these leaks.
    So the boot should come up flush to the finish floor? How do you attach screws because my screw gun wont really fit in a small area like to drive a good screw in. Do you mean foil tape for sealing duct joints?

Post Likes
    i prefer to protrude the boot over the floor a half in or so, then flange it over the floor w cleet bender..then simply nail to floor

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pauls heating & View Post
    i prefer to protrude the boot over the floor a half in or so, then flange it over the floor w cleet bender..then simply nail to floor
    do you add a drive or s cleat to the top of the boot to cover the top edges? So, you create a flange over the sub floor or finished floor?

Post Likes
    I tried but in a 4x10 opening I could not get a hammer in there to do that or a screw gun.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pauls heating & View Post
    I've never seen this done but I really like your idea. Usually the boots are bent and beat up, barely hanging onto the floor, about to drop to the dirt. This would hold itself in, and also the registers would slide right in.

Post Likes
    we install thousands.... flush with floor 8 nails and move on..... zero have fallen out .....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Again with the old 1960s houses, they usually have 1 nail per side, driven half way in, then hammered over. They are always beat up from people removing/replacing registers and most are a fight to get back in.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by matt1124 View Post
    Again with the old 1960s houses, they usually have 1 nail per side, driven half way in, then hammered over. They are always beat up from people removing/replacing registers and most are a fight to get back in.
    well if you install them like a rookie I guess there will be troubles.... lots of ways to do it.... we have done it the simple way for years and years...

Post Likes
    Flush with floor and 1 1/4" roofing nails. I bend them over sometimes if under carpet but the register won't fit flush when you do that on hardwood or tile floor.

Post Likes
    panning nails. the nails are easy to hammer in the ends. have to angle them on front and back. or push boot through floor, bend 1/2 inch lip all around on all 4 sides. drop back into place nail down.
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

Post Likes
    roofing nails normally does the trick depends what u have to work with

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in