+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what are your strengths and weaknesses in the HVAC/R field

Post Likes
    Weakness

For me it would be sheet metal and heating
    Iv'e never dealt with it in the field other then my own equipment and in trade school. I can figure out the problem but it takes a while. I wish we did more heat but we rarely do it

Strength

Refrigereration primarily supermarket
    Piping/brazing
    Can bend copper in all sorts of ways
    can put acr together quickly

I remember I did some duct work and it turned out horrible the foreman kinda laughed and said next time they might not ask us to do sheet metal (he agreed refer guys suck at sheet metal)
    All the refer guys I know don't carry around any sheet metal tools accept for tin snips. We also don't carry pipe wrenches.
    But we did carry around a half a dozen tube cutters, bending tools and other refer tools

I was wondering what are your weaknesses, and stengthes

Post Likes
    My weakness.... pretty much anything covered in HVAC/R. lol

I have a LONG ways to go to be where I'd like to be, but I know I'll never ever make it to the top of where I want to be (because that mountain keeps getting higher as I go).

My strengths, sheetmetal/fabrication. There isn't much I can't create as far as duct and related things. I'm not perfect at duct design, but I'd say I'm better than a lot.

Another strength would be the whole break/lunch thing.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Post Likes
    My strengths are a very good service tech and quick trouble shooter "99% of the time"

I am not the greatest installer but that is why I have installers, I know how to do it right just don't have the back or patients anymore.

My weaknesses is charging enough for what I do.

And I hate duct board make me itch just looking at it.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Strengths: control wiring, system design and application, refrigerant circuit diagnosis, watersource hp's, appetite for knowledge.
    Weaknesses:Organization, speaking before an audience (teaching), a tendency to get bored with doing work that doesn't interest me,(resiservice). Beer.Inflated or deflated self image, (depending on the minute).
    Luke 6:31

Post Likes
    Strengths: for a new tech my career seems very promising.

Weaknesses: i can't get hired.

Post Likes
    weakness sheet metal - I don't like it I'm not doing it
    supermarkets - I'm out of touch - last time I did it we were blowing out condensors with R12

strength - everything else

Electrical
    controls
    heating
    service calls
    installs
    commercial indrustrial
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    plus: 1 organising skill, 2 looking beyond the problem trying to solve it permanent 3 proactive towards customer 4 making coworkers enthusiast towards the job.

Minus: 1 take no for a answer to easy and making it my problem. 2 reading skills.3 speed!
    .................................................. ......................
    ---------Holland aint flat !!! it is hollow !----------- first thing my mommy told me was : learn to swim

Post Likes
    Strengths. Able to sell, solve problems, and able to apply history to service problems. Able to learn something I don't know.

Weaknesses. I'm old, tired and lazy. My get up and go has got up and gone.

Post Likes
    S-- I'm good in everthing I do...

W- just ask my wife....

Post Likes
    S- refrigeration circuits, electrical circuits, determining air system problems.

W- intolerant of non-systematic approaches, repairing air systems, and duct work.

I hate duct work. If I have to access duct work, I have to be the slowest guy on the planet. Even cutting a hole (if more than drilling for pitot) I scribe it and cut right on the line, no matter how long it takes because if I screw it up at all, it will NEVER look the same.

Duct work is art and those who do it well are artist. I am bad enough at it that after over 20 years in this trade (service only) I would seek out the assistance of a fellow industry friend to assist with the change out of my own furnace so it did not look like crap when I was done!

Post Likes
    Strengths: Electrical, troubleshooting, refrigeration circuitry.

Weaknesses: Sheet metal fab, Ductwork install, ductboard. Just never liked it or got into it. I have a high respect for the guys that do it. Some of you metal guys are artists!

Post Likes
    Strengths - Air Conditioning and refrigeration. If it has refrigerant in it , I can fix it !!

Weakness- Heating and duct work . I have never done much heating work and I plan on keeping it that way .

Post Likes
    strengths: i can come here and post and get the answers for you smart guys ; weakness: sometimes my computer does not work

Post Likes
    Strengths are working with ductwork, fabricating tin, trouble shooting residential & light commercial equipment. Electric circuits, I took the NEC while I was in College and I always renew my license.

My weakness is high end refrigeration equipment, stuff you see in industrial plants, highrise buildings, chillers and large steam boilers.

When I started in this trade about 11 yrs ago I was into refrigeration, I even have my Stationary Engineers certification, unfortunatley as the years went by I was'nt able to apply it. Then everything goes Poof, outta the mind.

Post Likes
    Strengths:
    Strong troubleshooting skills. Metal fabbing.
    Refer design as it applies to high temp(used to do refer low temp. The gobblers convinced me I dont need it any more)I.E. air conditioning.
    Electrical.

Weakness:
    Two stage systems and zoned damper systems, (don't rag. They ain't popular around here. I'm still learning but we got a guy on board who is cracker jack with that stuff).
    Sucker for a sob story.
    Hell, I'd even hire Wolfstrike to make him stop whining here

[Edited by hvaclover on 12-10-2006 at 12:34 PM]

Post Likes
    S - Customer relations, refrigeration troubleshooting

W - Resi work, paperwork, refrig. installs (I hate 'em)

Post Likes
    strengths................knowing where to find the answers

weakness......sometimes not knowing what question to ask

Post Likes

S- trouble shooting residential H.V.A.C.,cust. relations.
    W- sheetmetal/ductwork-I suck at it. Being color blind.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by always learnin

S- trouble shooting residential H.V.A.C.,cust. relations.
    W- sheetmetal/ductwork-I suck at it. Being color blind.
    Hell, didn't know sheet metal was colore coded.

Better add that one to the list too

Post Likes
    Originally posted by refrtech
    Strengths - Air Conditioning and refrigeration. If it has refrigerant in it , I can fix it !!

Weakness- Heating and duct work . I have never done much heating work and I plan on keeping it that way .
    I dont do ductwork. Period... end of report! I have a definate distaste for pookee.

unless I get familiar with the control circuit, I dont do well on ignition modules for furnaces.

Dont know about pneumatics, 707, or really big chillers.

but I make up for this stuff by what I do know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in