+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spend more fixing Manitowoc B150, buy used Ice-o-matic U150, or ...?

Post Likes
    You got a good long run out of that machine. It's not going to be cost effective to continue to nurse it. Look at it this way. If you want ice you are going to spend the money to get it. No way around that. So do you buy used? It's an option but the risk of further repairs is high, who ever had it got rid of it for a reason. Bite the bullet and get a new machine with warranty. Your gonna spend the money anyway whether you want to or not. Google equipment leasing in your area. You can most likely lease a new machine and they will maintain and repair. There is a saying around here for theses situations. Pay me now or pay me later. Later costs more. Good luck.

Post Likes
    And, BTW, not all of us hold on to our old distaste for ice-o-matic. I service several of them, and they are perfectly acceptable machines. I would buy one.

Post Likes
    I don't see much difference with them.
    FWIW IMO Everybody's machines are are going the wrong way as far a quality
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Could you explain what was so bad about the old ones that is not true of the new ones?

Thanks,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    And, BTW, not all of us hold on to our old distaste for ice-o-matic. I service several of them, and they are perfectly acceptable machines. I would buy one.

Post Likes
    Well i for one would say it is time to buy a new ice machine.

I talk to a great deal of owners and a techs. Buying used it not a good idea. I would buy new and with a Manitowoc you will get a 3 year part and labor warranty.

The B150's were fantastic in there day but this is like a car with 250,000 miles on it now.
    The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent The Manitowoc Company's positions, strategies, or opinions.

Post Likes
    X2 The ones I see don't have circuit boards that cost a fortune. The newer ones have fan cycling which is a big help.
    Doug

Post Likes
    I don't service many anymore. A couple ICE units here and there. I got a ton of experience working on the GC and ICE series, which are the machines Pepsi supplied to Taco bell in the 90's Nothing more than a turd that ocassionaly made ice. I became proficient in changing out txv's and evaporators in the GC units. All of them had problems with the timer initiates and God knows what else. It was all inferior copycats of Mani's and Hoshi's.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Had a newer under counter IOM yesterday with burnt wiring......... You just don't see this kind of stuff anymore with the other guys
    Oh and when the bin stat satisfies in the middle of a cycle just shuts down and leaves it hanging. Makes for some interesting ice formations in the bin lol. Don't get me wrong I'll work on them all day but trying to make customers happy while its under warranty is a struggle.

Post Likes
    Worked on a ICEU-150 Sunday. The rocker switch got cooked the week before and at that time I just wired the compressor to the line feed to get him by. Had to go to the IOM dealer to get the replacement. In that weeks time he called again to say the machine stopped working. When I returned Sunday I found it going into harvest every few minutes. I pulled the lead off the pressure switch to get here to run. Once I put my gauges on I new the problem.

Post Likes
    Are they going to get another one sightly used from an auction

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in