+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manitowoc BD0152a

Post Likes

Manitowoc BD0152a

Good day people! This is my first post and I'm asking for professional help. I recently inquired this beautiful machine about 1 month ago and I can't get this unit to harvest before my 3.5 mins. So, I've read all your post regarding long harvest issues and I tried everything. Ok here's the confusing part, about a week ago out the the blue my harvest dropped from 3.5 mins to 2.5 mins and made beautiful ice and filled the bin. Well the harvest time slowly increased to >3.5?? I triple checked the machine for scale build up and cleaned the evap plate w Manitowoc nickel safe cleaner 4 times. The plate looks pretty good. Ice probe is clean as well. My freeze time is 20 mins and makes beautiful ice. During the harvest I noticed the fan comes on about 2-3 times before the 3.5 min lockout. Also I tried blocking half off the condenser and made my times even greater?? Usually the left side of my evap the ice starts to come off before the right side, but it did that when it was harvesting at 2.5 mins. I'm really needing someone to give me some professional help pretty plz . My good friend thinks its the Hot gas solenoid valve not opening all the way of could be leaking during the harvest. I kinda thought about that because if I was low on refrigerant it wouldn't make consistent freeze time of 20 mins and it wouldn't of have me great harvest time of 2.5 mins for a whole week before it started to slowly decline back to >3.5 mins. Maybe the valve is not opening all the way again or sticking?? I'm a min wage worker and I'm pretty handy and my family would greatly be humbled to have this machine working for our daily use!! I also downloaded the service manual and read it front to back 3 x. I read from your previous post that my condenser fan shouldn't come on during harvest and it does at least 2x, but manual said it can during harvest so I'm seriously needing help guys... God bless and any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Post Likes
    Could be hot gas not opening completely, though not likely. Also, nickel could be gone from plates, grid may be separated from plates. In either case evap would need to be replaced. Top evap molding could be allowing water to freeze on the back of plate. This will cause harvest problems.

That machine is likely very old. I would't spend much time or effort on it. If it is anything other than a leaking molding allowing water to freeze on back of evap, I would give it to the junk man.

Post Likes
    Thank you very much for responding.. The plate is perfect and it's just strange how it harvested perfect for 1 week and them slowly decline like that but thanks anyway...

Post Likes
    This is not a diy site so your answers will be generic.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Ice machines are very specialized pieces of equipment. There could be a ton of things wrong with them, but my money is on ice on the back of the plates, grid and/or plate separation, or damaged/missing plating on the evaporator surface. The plate simply cannot be in perfect condition....The machine is too old, and the harvest is too long. A new B-series would harvest in 1 minute.

Post Likes
    Hey micha, how can I go about checking and fixing the leaking top evap molding if that's the problem? I just took the top off my unit and behind the evap where the dump valve and the drier is located I did notice it was somewhat wet?? Hmmm that's pretty interesting! I thought that little water was from the condensation from the freeze and going into harvest just like when you wake up in the morning dew?? Haha.. So maybe not the HGV!

Post Likes
    No, on the back side of the evap plate, not the condensing unit section. It usually leaks between the plastic and metal at the top of the evap. I don't think I can say much more without violating the no diy rules here.

Post Likes
    Oh ok sir thank you very much I will check and update!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluewater4life View Post
    Good day people! This is my first post and I'm asking for professional help. I recently inquired this beautiful machine about 1 month ago and I can't get this unit to harvest before my 3.5 mins. So, I've read all your post regarding long harvest issues and I tried everything. Ok here's the confusing part, about a week ago out the the blue my harvest dropped from 3.5 mins to 2.5 mins and made beautiful ice and filled the bin. Well the harvest time slowly increased to >3.5?? I triple checked the machine for scale build up and cleaned the evap plate w Manitowoc nickel safe cleaner 4 times. The plate looks pretty good. Ice probe is clean as well. My freeze time is 20 mins and makes beautiful ice. During the harvest I noticed the fan comes on about 2-3 times before the 3.5 min lockout. Also I tried blocking half off the condenser and made my times even greater?? Usually the left side of my evap the ice starts to come off before the right side, but it did that when it was harvesting at 2.5 mins. I'm really needing someone to give me some professional help pretty plz . My good friend thinks its the Hot gas solenoid valve not opening all the way of could be leaking during the harvest. I kinda thought about that because if I was low on refrigerant it wouldn't make consistent freeze time of 20 mins and it wouldn't of have me great harvest time of 2.5 mins for a whole week before it started to slowly decline back to >3.5 mins. Maybe the valve is not opening all the way again or sticking?? I'm a min wage worker and I'm pretty handy and my family would greatly be humbled to have this machine working for our daily use!! I also downloaded the service manual and read it front to back 3 x. I read from your previous post that my condenser fan shouldn't come on during harvest and it does at least 2x, but manual said it can during harvest so I'm seriously needing help guys... God bless and any help will be greatly appreciated!!
    Sounds like multiple problems.
    When the ice comes off sideways the evap is dirty or not in as good of shape as you think.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Yes I agree the closer I look at the evap it does look a little dull even tho I cleaned it 4x with the Manitowoc cleaner. Now the nickle is still 80% still there. I don't see any leaks on the top evap molding gasket either. Micha was very helpful and i had my fingers crossed there was a small leak that was creeping to the back of evap but not the case?? Itsiceman, why do you think the harvest was 2.5 mins for a week and slowly decline for? Could it be the HGV?

Post Likes
    I did not read everything but if the fan comes on in harvest this is a bad thing. It could be showing you that the harvest valve is restricted. What are the pressures in harvest? That is the only real way of knowing the harvest valve is restricted.
    The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent The Manitowoc Company's positions, strategies, or opinions.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=jonbailey19808;14952751 What are the pressures in harvest? That is the only real way of knowing the harvest valve is restricted.[/QUOTE]

or take a temperature on each side of the valve.

Post Likes
    Actually taking temperatures on each side of the valve will not tell you for sure if it is restricted. The evap is so cold it takes the heat very quickly and a Temperature difference will not give you good information i have found.
    The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent The Manitowoc Company's positions, strategies, or opinions.

Post Likes
    Wow thank u guys VERY much for replying!! I'm very thankful! Guys I can honestly tell u I have absolutely no idea how to take the temp on these.. Crazy thing is that I can't even take the side panel off without tearing up the bin foam?? Yes the fan comes on at least 3x. Also I noticed the evap doesn't even feel warm during harvest. I'm still thinking its the HGV not opening.. I do know it worked fine for one week and slowly declined to 3.5 mins or longer and now hardly the ice doesn't even try to come of the evap??

Post Likes
    B series are old, I would not put any effort in it. The evaporator is probably scrap. It cost more to replace it than the whole machine.

Post Likes
    Yes I know it's very old.. Maybe next year sometimes if I can afford to purchase another machine. Thanks for replying

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbailey19808 View Post
    Actually taking temperatures on each side of the valve will not tell you for sure if it is restricted. The evap is so cold it takes the heat very quickly and a Temperature difference will not give you good information i have found.
    So are you saying that a restriction in the valve would not create a pressure drop ?

Post Likes
    If u run your hand over the plate does it feel even or as if some of the slots are farther out than others if your answer to this is yes do not waste any more time you plate is shot.

Post Likes
    Actually the plate is in pretty darn nice..still about 80% nickel intact and very straight and even sir..

Post Likes
    Run the back of your fingernail in a direction perpendicular to the slats, does the plate have a good, consistent ring to it or do some of the slats have a more dead "pinging" sound to them

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in