Thread: Would a Trane X616 plus Hyperion XR handlter be a good replacement for XL1200

Post Likes

Would a Trane X616 plus Hyperion XR handlter be a good replacement for XL1200

We have a 18.5 year old Trane 1200. It is starting to do weird things like just recently kicking off the breaker, which we were quoted about $$$. to replace. Last year was $$$ in costs. So its time to consider replacement.

Location; Just outside Dayton, Ohio (SW Ohio)
    1800 Sq Ft 2 story over unfinished basement, constructed 1979 but constructed with ungraded Anderson double pane windows and recently new siding with thermal wrap. Ungraded Trane thermostat about 1996
    Originally had 2.0 Ton Heat Pump with electric coils, and then replace in 1994 with Trane XL1200 2.5 ton unit to get more cooling to second floor. 2.5 tons has house very comfortable.

Getting ready to talk to local HVAC who sells Trane.
    I think a 2.5 ton Trane XR15 with Hyperion XR airhandler would be good. In future we might finish off 1/2 of basement (400 sq ft) or build 400 sq ft addition on slab

Is this a good choice or what might be better in about the same price range?

Comments on adding a THUMD200 Humidifier?

Is adding a Trane CleanEffects Air Cleaner worth it?

Thanks
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-06-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: pricing

Post Likes
    jsug.

I've edited the pricing out of your post.

Post Likes
    I'm not a 16i fan. In the past some of its numbers, humidity control and efficiency, haven't been that impressive. For the price difference, the XR15 may be a wiser investment. I'd look into the XL variable speed air handlers over the fixed speed. Also the X13 motor hasn't been the most reliable animal.

Post Likes
    Look at the TAM7 or TAM8 air handler match instead of the XR air handler, they will be much quieter and should get better efficiency numbers with the XR15. Also the XL15i has a 12 year compressor warranty and is upgradable to 12 year parts and labor. The XL15i is a quieter and does not cost much more it is also more of a direct replacement for the XL1200 than an XR15 is. If you were looking at a 2 or 3 ton system the XL20i is a great upgrade from the XL1200 and is the most efficient system Trane makes and is fully communicating. I agree with BaldLoonie, I have not been a huge XL16i fan, I prefer the XL15i or XL20i instead.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    Look at the TAM7 or TAM8 air handler match instead of the XR air handler, they will be much quieter and should get better efficiency numbers with the XR15. Also the XL15i has a 12 year compressor warranty and is upgradable to 12 year parts and labor. The XL15i is a quieter and does not cost much more it is also more of a direct replacement for the XL1200 than an XR15 is. If you were looking at a 2 or 3 ton system the XL20i is a great upgrade from the XL1200 and is the most efficient system Trane makes and is fully communicating. I agree with BaldLoonie, I have not been a huge XL16i fan, I prefer the XL15i or XL20i instead.
    I agree with SkyHeating on this. Look at the TAM7 variable speed air handler paired with either the XR15 or XL15 heat pump. This will give you the best bang for the buck.

We have a lot of XL1200's in my area that are still working find even after 20 plus years of usage. In your case you are staring to have problems out of yours and I wouldn't put any more money into a 18 year old system either.

The best possiable match up would be the XL 15 with a TAM7 to take the place of your existing XL1200. It will have the same design top and is Trane's quietest singe stage unit with 12 year compressor warranty. If your budget is tight then look at the XR15 also with the TAM7 air handler. The cost difference of XR15 to XL15 is not that much and gives you 2 more years on the compressor and like SkyHeating said you can get 12 year parts and labor. Where as with the XR15 you can get 10 year.

Also I to am not a fan of the XL16 or for that matter the XR16 due to the design of compressor and systems not have very good humdity control. Now the Trane XL20 is another system and if cost is not a issue and you want the top of the line Trane system this would be for you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in