I am disperately needing advice. Home furnace questions.

My furnace is not working and ......this is what happened. I went down to check it out hoping it was something easy because I simply do not have the funds to call out a tech. So I just tried to see if anything obvious was happening.

Thermostat calls for heat. Inducer fan comes on. Hot surface igniter glows red. then there is a click but the gas valve does not release the gas. So I go out and buy a gas valve. Replace it. and boom it WORKS... for a day then back to the same exact problem.

So I then assume its the control board. So I run out and buy one replace it and boom it WORKS... again only for a day. And darn it I am right back to the exact same problem.

I replaced these parts and it worked perfect each time for a day. Any suggestions? What else could it be?

BTW. I am not a tech but I took HVACR in high school. And I am a first year Sheet Metal apprentice. I am well aware of the dangers and safety aspects of working with natural gas and electricity. And I am freezing my butt off.

You've spent all this money on unneeded parts....

So instead of paying a little bit extra and getting it fixed correctly the first time by calling a service company, you throw away money on useless "repairs?"

I don't get it. This is not a DIY site. Call a professional and quit wasting time and money.

Thanks! Do you know what it could be though?

Quote Originally Posted by ttown View Post
    It could be something isn't operating correctly. Best advice is to get a professional to have a look.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Keep throwing parts at it your bound to get it right soon. You replaced the big $ parts try some cheaper ones.

We all understand it is frustrating being cold and thinking you can fix it yourself then coming up empty after spending your hard earned cash. The guys are correct, this is not a DIY site so there is no way for us to tell you what to do next. If you are head strong against calling a local tech out to fix it then you must think harder. The site doesn't condone DIY due to safety issues and of course this being our way of making a living. Many others will read this post besides you that have less experience or mechanical aptitude. This may create many safety concerns across the country as literately thousands upon thousands can and will Google an answer to their furnace being down.

Personally I know what your issue is. It isn't hard to fix and not expensive at all as it has to do with ceramics. Wish I can help you and you can take a hint and call a pro.

lol I know right. It was $ for both parts plus some pipe dope. I just got it working. For now anyways. All I did was open and close the gas cock. so maybe its just low gas flow or something. Hopefully it stops with the issue. That would be nice.

BTW I could just call one of my journeyman or my teacher. I just don't want to bug them on the weekend.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-05-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Price

“Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Nice. I have a 30 hr osha card. I used to work for a non union residential hvac company. I am a construction worker (commercial/industrial) now. I am going through a 5 year apprenticeship. Currently I also have a welding class two nights a week. I took HVACR for 4 hrs a day sophomore and junior year of high school. Trust me I am staying with in my capabilities. Not Scared. Just wanted some advice.

lol I know right. It was $ for both parts plus some pipe dope. I just got it working. For now anyways. All I did was open and close the gas cock. so maybe its just low gas flow or something. Hopefully it stops with the issue. That would be nice.

BTW I could just call one of my journeyman or my teacher. I just don't want to bug them on the weekend.
    Most likely, one of journeymen is probably on call and won't mind talking you through it. others would probably come over and give you on site instructions for a couple beers. Which is far cheaper then just throwing un-needed parts at it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Its working fine now.

I followed every trouble shooting step in the book. Looked like a bad valve It was getting 24vac and worked intermittently. When changing that didnt work I figured got to be the control board. I already checked limit switches, heat sensor, flu blockage, loose wires, drain, I mean before I came to the conclusion of the valve. But now it seams like maybe it just was not getting enough gas. All I did was close and open a few times the gas cock and reset the furnace now its working. I am praying it stays fixed if not I'll swallow my pride and call.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post

Yeah, thats the best post I've seen in a long time!!
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted