Electronic Defrost

I've been comparing the Trane XL15i or XR15 and Carrier Infinity 3-4 ton heat pumps. It looks like Trane has a electronic defrost or something called that. I'm not completely sure of the advantages, and I'm concerned that the Carrier line doesn't have this feature (as far as I know).

Could someone enlighten me on this?

(Edit: Portland, Oregon, 2400 sqft, single level, wt gas furnace)

They are all electronic. Trane uses demand defrost which uses thermistors to sense coil & ambient temps to know if the coil is really frosted. The Infinity units use an enhanced time board. Most time boards have a preset length of time they run the coil below freezing before they defrost. The Infinity boards will vary that time based on past cycles and length of time in defrost. Better than fixed time but not as good as demand. I wouldn't think Portland would spend a lot of time in frosting conditions so probably not as critical for you as someone in a colder climate.

Thanks BaldLoonie. That explains it well. Is that why I've read that "maybe" the Trane defrost is better for colder climates in that it prevents unecessary defrost cycles that are hard on the Heat Pump ?

Quote Originally Posted by mixer440 View Post
    Thanks BaldLoonie. That explains it well. Is that why I've read that "maybe" the Trane defrost is better for colder climates in that it prevents unecessary defrost cycles that are hard on the Heat Pump ?
    Defrost cycles aren't hard on the heat pump they just reduce the efficiency if unnecessarily defrosting. In defrost mode the refrigerent cycle reverses and goes into cooling mode so the hot gas will melt the ice accumulated on the outdoor coil and while in ac mode it engages the electric backup heat to temper the cooled air coming into your house. If it goes into defrost when it doesn't really need to you are wasting all of that energy that could be heating the house. Demand defrost is by far superior to time/temp. Trane and York both use demand defrost.