Trane vs. Day and Night

Threaded View

Hmm Trane vs. Day and Night

My Amana AC/heat pump R22 compressor died and it will cost $ to fix because I believe it is the original from my 26 years old house. I am shopping around for a new unit and have narrowed it down to 2 contractors:

#1 - for a Trane over-under 3.5 ton PHP. The contractor is a big company that has A+ rating from the BBB but with 20 complains with BBB over last 3 years. There are quite a few customer complains about them but also many raves. I think this company contract with their tech so it will be a luck of the draw if I will get a good installer.

#2 - for a Day and Night #PHDBBEGODKOOOC. A smaller company with A+ rating and 4 complains with BBB within last 3 years. The price includes installation of a new return duct drops (current unit is an over-under but they're going to install a side-by-side) and sealing of existing ductwork. The person who came out was every knowledgeable and I had a good feeling about him.

Both systems will be 13 seer and both contractors will have to do a Manual J calculation as required by my electrical company (for rebate program). The price difference is $.

Which should I pick? There is literally no info about Day & Night except that is it owned by the same company as Carrier but is make by a different assembly line with different parts so it's of a lesser quality than Carrier. I live in Arizona and the unit will be a rooftop unit.

Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-05-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: price