Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amp meter

My old sc66 has a Max button for measuring the max current draw from the time the load first starts. Is this not the same principle?

Quote Originally Posted by ComfortService View Post
    My old sc66 has a Max button for measuring the max current draw from the time the load first starts. Is this not the same principle?
    The SC66 takes a measurement twice a second (like most digital multi-meters). This is not fast enough to capture peak amps on motor start ups. The SC56 inrush feature captures amp draw in the first 100 milliseconds of the compressor turning on giving you much more accurate peak amp draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bee View Post
    Amprobe is owned by the same company that owns Fluke.
    This must be why i like Amprobe products! I got the new ACD-53NAV, Link Below. I'm pleased with it. I wish i had gotten the ACD-54NAV, but i'm definitely happy with my purchase.

http://www.amprobe.com/Amprobe/usen/....htm?PID=73094

Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post
    This must be why i like Amprobe products! I got the new ACD-53NAV, Link Below. I'm pleased with it. I wish i had gotten the ACD-54NAV, but i'm definitely happy with my purchase.

http://www.amprobe.com/Amprobe/usen/....htm?PID=73094
    Jusr curious the only differences between the 53 and 54 is DC amps and temperature capabilities. The 51 gives temp and also DCuA but "only" goes up to 600 ac amps. Do you do work where you need 1000 ac amp readings?
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

+1 for the Fieldpiece SC56.
    It is one of the few, if not the only, "all in one" type clamp meter that has true multimeter capabilities, so can take the place of both a clamp meter and a multimeter in your tool bag for every day troubleshooting.
    The only feature that it lacks is min/max, but I haven't missed it.

As has been mentioned, Fieldpiece test leads suck, but so do the leads that come with just about any meter. They use standard connections, so you can use your test leads of choice with them.

Another one to consider, the SC57, with a ARH5 in duct psychrometer head, so you can get a real time wet bulb temperature while at the outdoor unit.
    Last edited by mark beiser; 02-12-2013 at 10:24 AM.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Amprobe. See my post below

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    I'm in the market for a new meter and the SC56 just might be the winner. Anyone know of a good online store with good pricing? I was debating on the fluke 902. Which is better?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    used an sc56 in school and thought it felt a little cheap. thats really the only bad thing i have to say about it. i wound up buying the 902, but i wouldnt mind having an sc56 if they made em feel a little more solid. next meter i may get an sc66

Quote Originally Posted by clifpaul View Post
    used an sc56 in school and thought it felt a little cheap. thats really the only bad thing i have to say about it. i wound up buying the 902, but i wouldnt mind having an sc56 if they made em feel a little more solid. next meter i may get an sc66
    Only problem i find with the Fluke 902, which i own, is that is resistance reading is not that great. It doesn't have a separate continuity and resistance mode which is quite annoying. 902 can be a good beginners meter. I strongly suggest looking a Amprobes Nav series. I was a fluke only guy but Amprobe had been growing on me and had impressed me so they are my new go to for amperage readings! I plan to get another in the near future and getting rid of my Fluke 376 although i do like the flexible amp probe for those tight spots. Decisions decisions.... I'll end of keeping it and having to buy another tool box!

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND A GOOD USED HIGH END ROLLING TOOL CHECK? Proto, Snap-on, Mac, ect... i've been looking for a while and toolup.com had the BEST prices on proto tool cases which are excellent quality but i rather buy preowned to save a few bucks to buy some more tools. I also really want a 36" Montezuma Tool Boxes Crossover. SORRY FOR GOING OFF TOPIC!!

yeah. i'm actually gonna be meeting a guy tomorrow to buy a sc66 off of him. at least thats the plan for now. we'll see what happens. i have a fluke 322 but i can't check temps or capacitance with it. if it works i'm gonna buy the sc66, keep the 902 for a backup and pawn the 322.

Quote Originally Posted by clifpaul View Post
    The fit and finish of the SC56 isn't quite up to par with Fluke, but I'd put my SC56 up against my Fluke 337 for durability and usability any day.
    So far the SC56 and 57 are the only "all in one" type meters that can replace a stand alone true RMS clamp meter and stand alone true RMS multimeter for HVAC troubleshooting.

I've never understood the point of the Fluke 902. It is supposedly made to be an "all in one" for HVAC service work, but Its missing critical functions, so you still have to carry a multimeter.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I carry the 902 in my bag, it is my daily beater that covers 99.9% of daily service. I keep a 336A clamp in my van for inrush and DC amp clamp applications, but it rarely sees daylight. I also have a 321 and 322 I use for generator start ups (I do HVAC and Generators). I also carry a 87V meter for generator troubleshooting and a 179 as a backup or when I need 2 meters. I have used Fieldpiece, Amprobe, Sperry, UEI, Ideal and Craftsman meters and clamps over the last 20 years....then I stepped up and bought an 87V for generators after using one at Generac's WI training center; once I experienced the quality difference with Fluke I replaced everything with Fluke....I still keep my SC77 in the van but have not used in a year. I will say the lead storage on the 902 is non existent, I'm forever untangling the leads from the bottom of my tool bag..a problem I never had with my Fieldpeice which has built in lead storage.

Good Man!! Another Fluke convert! I would still check out Amprobe for current testing ( i was skeptical at first). They are associated with fluke and i am throughtly impressed with my ACD-53NAV. I switched it with my Fluke 367. I now keep my 367 in my oil serivce tool bag. I had my 902 in my oil bag but now its in my backup too storage case.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    So far the SC56 and 57 are the only "all in one" type meters that can replace a stand alone true RMS clamp meter and stand alone true RMS multimeter for HVAC troubleshooting.
    These don't qualify?

http://www.amprobe.com/Amprobe/usen/....htm?PID=73070

http://www.extech.com/instruments/pr...d=27&prodid=96

http://www.ueitest.com/products/clamp-meter/dl389

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast