Whistling noise fixed!

I really hope this post helps everyone that has had this issue. I too had service out and they could not pin point and fix the whistling sound. But my husband easily found the problem and resolved it in a couple minutes with some duct tape, of course! The unit in the attic (or wherever you had it installed) that is the big grey thing that has all of the venting coming from it has 2 panels. What he found is that the air whistles between these panels and creates that annoying whistling sound. He took a long piece of duct tape and taped between the panels,. It's finally silent!! That sound was driving me batty so I wanted to share with everyone else who is experiencing this. Hope this resolves your issue! It did mine and I am so happy and it was so easy!

Quote Originally Posted by kalka421 View Post
    What he found is that the air whistles between these panels and creates that annoying whistling sound. He took a long piece of duct tape and taped between the panels,. It's finally silent!! That sound was driving me batty so I wanted to share with everyone else who is experiencing this. Hope this resolves your issue! It did mine and I am so happy and it was so easy!
    Glad you got it fixed, but you don't want to put a band-aid on something that "might" be created by something else. This noise can also be created by dirty filters, and also to small of a return air, and sometimes if the blower cfm's are not setup correct when the unit is installed.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Glad you got it fixed, but you don't want to put a band-aid on something that "might" be created by something else. This noise can also be created by dirty filters, and also to small of a return air, and sometimes if the blower cfm's are not setup correct when the unit is installed.
    Understood, but from what I've read and I read many looking for the answer is that it seems the service folks never can pin point and fix the problem and keep running these people around replacing what may not even be faulty and to no avail. The duct tape isn't a band aid for another problem. In my case this has happened since day one of the new system and there fore none of the scenarios you listed would apply. My husband would never stand for a band aid especially when service is covered. This just kept the air from whistling between the 2 panels. If you put your hand over the separation of the panels and it stops whistling then it's pretty straightforward that that is all it is. It's not muffling the sound from somewhere else. I wonder how many people will find that is their answer instead of replacing all these parts unnecessarily.

And a technician couldn't find this? Sounds like your were using the wrong company.

Also glad to hear that you were able to fix. I must agree with Brent if the service company couldn't find something as simple as leakage at supply or return plentums you had the wrong company.

Just remember duct tape will fix. alot of things but don't count on it to hold up for long in a hot attic. I would suggest you ask family & friends who they use for there hvac services. Then call them to come out and do a proper repair on the leakage air.

They will need to use foil tape approved for duct work sealing and mastic the joints so it will be sealed properly.

I've found that magnetic sign material works good for sealing ahu doors and makes it easy to remove when service access is needed. It doesn't seal 100% but is cleaner than tape.