+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Knipex cable shears.

Post Likes

Knipex cable shears.

I was wondering how These cable shears compare to kliens or green lee ones.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_117761-10461...roduct_price|1

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...8#.UOdZAm_pfIc

Post Likes
    I have these- they are great, although I've never used the other brands you are talking about. I have other knipex tools which I love. The tools are well made and take a lot of abuse

Post Likes
    Good tools were being made in Germany many years before the Pilgrims landed on Plymoth Rock. Knipex makes the best pliers and cutters you can buy, they are not inexpensive, but you get your money's worth. Most of the guys that were Blacksmiths and started tool companies in New England, Ohio and Chicago were German Immigrants or children of German Immigrants. You can still buy good quality American tools. Klein and H.K. Porter are very good brands of Electricians tools. I have Knipex alligator pliers in 10" and 12". Best pliers I have ever owned.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bee View Post
    I have Knipex alligator pliers in 10" and 12". Best pliers I have ever owned.
    Try the Knipex Cobra pliers, they will instantly become your "best pliers I have ever owned."
    The alligator pliers are awful by comparison.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Try the Knipex Cobra pliers, they will instantly become your "best pliers I have ever owned."
    The alligator pliers are awful by comparison.
    I have not been able to find them in a store. Seen them online but would like to hold them in my hand.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    I have not been able to find them in a store. Seen them online but would like to hold them in my hand.
    Do yourself a favor, just buy the 3 piece set, with the ergo handles, you won't regret it!
    They will be the best channel lock type pliers you have ever owned, and will replace your pipe wrenches for most smaller gas line work.
    The extra wide jaw opening of the newer version is especially nice too.

http://chadstoolbox.com/3x8702knipex...pcobraset.aspx

Fair warning, they weigh much less than most other brands of this type of tool, so your first reaction may be that they are not heavy duty enough.
    Nothing could be further from the truth, they are extremely strong. You can lock them on a pipe and jump up and down on them without damaging them.

Post Likes
    Cobra all the way with their button adjust, alligators kind of fussy to adjust, Sears sells them and they even put their craftsman name on a black handled pair of knipex and state they are made in Germany, I wait for their specials or use reward points. Lowes also carries them but rarely have specials on them.

Post Likes
    If you have a Mac tools rep nearby, a lot of their pliers are just rebranded Knipex. They have the Cobras.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I find this thread amusing. It seems any thread with knipex in the name ends up a discussion about their cobra pliers......

sears actually sells a two pack of them under the craftsman name btw.

Post Likes
    The button adjustment is a weak point on the pliers. Only problem I've ever had with Knipex, had two of the the buttons break. The slip joint ones are sill going strong.

Post Likes
    I'm beginning to dislike my cobras. Certainly don't use them as much as I used to. Maybe I need bigger ones . .

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Sure, Knipex makes nice stuff, but they're made in Germany. All Channel Lock and Klein tools and most Craftsman Professional stuff is made in the USA. They're all high quality and will get the job done.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Sure, Knipex makes nice stuff, but they're made in Germany. All Channel Lock and Klein tools and most Craftsman Professional stuff is made in the USA. They're all high quality and will get the job done.
    Every single Klein screwdriver or nut-driver that I have owned has twisted or broken within two months of owning, then again I work in a factory producing commercial equipment so I can spend weeks at a time turning screws. Channel Lock makes nice stuff but they have not kept up with there designs for well.... channel lock type pliers. I'm currently using Irwin groovelocks. 6" to 10" Thinking about a set of 12". The craftsman professional line is going away. This is what I was told so it could be wrong info. Their standard line USA made has been re branded industrial with a larger price tag.

I'm all for supporting jobs in the USA but I will not buy inferior products just because they are labelled "made in the USA". Capitalism is about competition. Buying stuff simply because it's made in the USA does not benefit this country because it allows companies to rest on it and not really compete.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg30 View Post
    The button adjustment is a weak point on the pliers. Only problem I've ever had with Knipex, had two of the the buttons break.
    I haven't had one break, but the button and the spring are replaceable.

Post Likes
    I love the knipex pliers and i also began to like the bahco brand pliers. I have one of each in all of my tool bags. lol

http://www.amazon.com/BAHCO-8231-Big...s=bahco+pliers

Bahco also makes the best adjustable wrenches with the largest opening jaw for the size of the wrench. You can't find anything better. Snap-on bough bahco up if that tells you anything.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in