Flooded RUUD furnace

Hello,

My home is under construction, and HVAC has already been installed. There is no power in the house yet, so the other day, the basement flooded after strong rains. There were about 3 inches of water, so it entered the bottom of the furnace and sat there for a number of hours. A small portion of the fan drum was submerged, as was the bottom of the filter, but the control board and the motor hadn't been submerged.

I was hoping to get some opinions, as to how bad of a situation this is, for long term longevity of the unit and ability to get warranty service in the future? I have a RUUD upflow modulating furnace. My installer doesn't seem to want to deal with it, and think it'll be fine. I'm more worried about what happens 5 years down the line, vs. what happens in the next 6 months. Recommendations?

Name:  furnace-bottom.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  50.9 KB

D.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-08-2013 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

I would not accept the furnace and demand a new one. Talk to your builder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Sounds like you are OK. And lucky.

Thanks all, this is helpful. I'm trying to get a new one, but even if they don't budget, sounds like it's not terrible. The annoying thing was I had asked them to install it raised on blocks in the first place to avoid this situation; the sub chuckled at me, and ignored my request. That made it more frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by ddr View Post
    The annoying thing was I had asked them to install it raised on blocks in the first place to avoid this situation; the sub chuckled at me, and ignored my request. That made it more frustrating.
    Well that sub sure looks stupid about now, unit should be ok, just make sure you dry it out really well.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Is code here to be up on 2" blocks, some I've done on 8" block.

I believe code is minimum of 2" raised, which is what he did. Water was about 3" deep .

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Last edited by beenthere; 01-08-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Quote Originally Posted by billg View Post
    You know for sure it didn't get to the board? The wires laying in the water is no good either. I would ask for a new furnace especially since you told him to put it higher.
    If the code says the furnace is to be elevated 2" and the contractor installed it that way then he did his job properly. Are you suggesting the contractor should stop work on the installation and go get something because the customer asked for it?
    It would be different if the customer asked for it before the installation.

As for this situation, everything should be okay as long as the control board and the motor were not in the water.

Who was responsible for the flooding? Was the furnace installed before the structure was enclosed? It does not appear to be the fault of the installing contractor from the information given so far.

B.C.Mech, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

billg, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?