Infinity Fan Coil Breaker Tripping - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC USN View Post
    I didn't know that was still allowed, the cable run is 20' long how much did they save by doing that?
    The breaker hasn't tripped since I replace it.
    Dealer still coming out on Monday.
    It's not that they "saved" anything it's that 10/2 is what is used for 240volt circuits. 3 wire would be used for a 120v 3 way switch, among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsmith816 View Post
    Electricity is not a guessiing game. People that don't understand it should leave it alone
    I have a masters in electrical angering worked in aerospace for over 30 years, I think I can understand a "one wire" electrical circuit.

Looking at my CB panel water heater 10 3, pool pump 10 3, oven 10 3, cook top 10 3, dryer 10 3, compressor 8 3 back up heat 6 3, just saying.

there is no water heater that is 10/3 so try again... just saying
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

You must be counting the ground as a conductor. 10/2 with ground has 2 insulated conductors and 1 bare copper ground wire, 10/3 with ground has 3 insulated conductors and 1 bare copper ground wire. If they used 10/2 with no ground (like old cloth sheathed wire) then they should have changed the wire to 10/2 with ground.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    You must be counting the ground as a conductor. 10/2 with ground has 2 insulated conductors and 1 bare copper ground wire, 10/3 with ground has 3 insulated conductors and 1 bare copper ground wire. If they used 10/2 with no ground (like old cloth sheathed wire) then they should have changed the wire to 10/2 with ground.
    I’m not counting the ground I know the difference between 10 2 and 10 3.

My water heater is connected to a disconnect panel and a demand response unit they used 10 3 from the main breaker panel to the disconnect panel.

They used 10 2 Romex for the new fan coil, the circuit was previously used for the old condenser.

The old condenser seized, I think the technician damaged the breaker trying to get the old compressor to turn on, he reset it numerous times, eventually it stopped tripping and started making a loud buzzing noise.

I replaced the breaker on Saturday, I’m still waiting for the installer to come out and check the system.

The technician came out checked the wiring and ran the electric heat test, but never checked the current draw.
    He asked if the breaker tripped why isn’t there a voltage fault? I asked said how can if register a fault if the unit isn’t getting any power.
    I noticed the fan coil has two 60 amp breakers but the unit is fed by a 60 amp circuit and a 30 amp circuit the fan coil has a 10K and a 5K electric heater pack.
    Shouldn’t the 5k heater pack have a 30 amp breaker not a 60 amp?
    It's the 30 amp breaker on my load center that is tripping.
    Last edited by ATC USN; 01-07-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: grammer

My dealer replaced the heater pack, the problem was a 8 inch section of coil was stretched out and tangled, looks to me like it got snagged during installation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12