Thread: Change 4" to 5" filter?

Post Likes

Change 4" to 5" filter?

I had a new furnace installed about two years ago (American Standard Freedom 95 Comfort-R). The filter has been changed by the company that installed it but their free tune ups are now over it's time to change the filter. When I opened the filter box I noticed that while there is a 4" filter installed it looks like the box could fit a 5" filter. Would it be okay to put a 5" in there? Would it add any benefit? I noticed that with the current 4" filter it does not completely seal the box and a small amount of air is able to flow around the filter. I was hoping a 5" would seal it and maybe even help efficiency or air filtration. Current filter size is 16x25x4. Thanks for your help.Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  46.1 KB

Post Likes
    is there a model # on the filter cabinet?

looks like they were using something they got cheap for your "free" tune ups.

if no #s on the cabinet you should be able to measure the cabinet and find something that fits better than the one you have now.

Post Likes
    The filter cabinet has 325882 401 stamped on the top and 325881 401 stamped on the access door frame.

Post Likes
    4" or 5" wont matter much..... 5" will not hurt go for it....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by carmon View Post
    4" or 5" wont matter much..... 5" will not hurt go for it....
    Leakage is a SIGNIFICANT matter.!
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    really.... never new that.... thanks
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Looks like the cabinet was made to accept a 16x25x5 honeywell's F100 series filter should fit, take a tape measure and make sure before you shell out the cash for one though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in