I have a new infinity 2 stage gas furnace and 2 stage heat pump. I think the system is working correctly however my infinity thermostat behaves slightly differently from what is described in the manual. When the heat pump can not maintain the temperature, the gas furnace will take over and the thermostat will indicate that "auxiliary heat" is active. This I belive is noraml. However, the owners manual indicates that the system can be manually placed into "emergency heat" by pushing the heat button for 4 seconds. When I do this with my system the infinity thermostat reads "furnace only" even though the owners manual states it should read "emergency heat". In this mode when the furnce turns on the thermostat then reads "auxiliary heat". The system seems to work as expected but I am curious why my thermostat indicates something different then the owners manual. The manual seems to make a distiction between emergency heat and auxiliary heat.

Aux heat & emergency heat are the same thing in your case.
    the manual does not contain every senario and your controller knows you have a furnace as your aux/emergency heat.

On a basic heatpump it normally has electric heat strips as the auxillary heat. when the heat pump can't keep up the thermostat will bring on the heat strips with the heatpump " aux heat". If the heat pump had problems a homeowner could choose "emegency heat" which is just the electric heat by itself. In your case you have duel fuel
    and can only have heatpump on or furnace on. one or the other never both at the same time.

When you hold the button for 4 seconds, you lock out the heat pump and tell the UI to only run the furnace...therefore it reads furnace only. When the UI calls for heat and the furnace is brought on it reads Aux Heat because that is the heat source it is running. Emergency heat is the use of the Auxilliary heat as the primary heat source. Basically, auxilliary heat and emergency heat are the same thing. Your display is working correctly and exactly as it is suppose to. As stated earlier, it is impossible to cover all scenerios without making it confusing.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

right, here! in the heartland of the homeland!

difference is..

emergency heat is secondary heat and more costly which is the furnace... same thing a s a duel fuel system ,, in ur case
    as for a heat pump its always the primary heat which the Auxillary heat,
    they way i think everybody think of ,the word Auxillary as a secondary, such as a electronic componant like a stero piece of equipment or something,
    and thats where it can seem confusing , strange enough, its the opposite.

a duel fuel is a gas furnace and a heat pump.
    a regular heat pump system consist of heat pump and heat strips as the emergency, heat
    the more costly fuel or less efficent is going to be the emergency heat,,,

Originally posted by plain spoken
    When you hold the button for 4 seconds, you lock out the heat pump and tell the UI to only run the furnace...therefore it reads furnace only. When the UI calls for heat and the furnace is brought on it reads Aux Heat because that is the heat source it is running. Emergency heat is the use of the Auxiliary heat as the primary heat source. Basically, auxiliary heat and emergency heat are the same thing. Your display is working correctly and exactly as it is suppose to. As stated earlier, it is impossible to cover all scenarios without making it confusing.
    And they changed the words so that the homeowner that doesn't read their manual will realize that pushing the heat button for an extended period of time cause 'furnace only' operations.

Congratulations on actually reading the manual. Your system is working just as it should. Carrier needs to update the Owner's Manual to match the new words on the display.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

So I am so confused.We just moved from Indiana to central Florida in October. The realtor advised upon move in that homes in this area (Orlando) do not have furnaces for the most part. We do not have a furnace. She claims the AC unit can produce heat? We do however have a fireplace so we thought all was alright. It is in the 30's today and very cold inside. I have been to Walmart and spent a couple hundred dollars on space heaters that are not helping. When we look at the heat on the thermostat it wants you to chose between auxilary heat and emergency heat. My question is, Is that only for like freak weather and emergencies or can I use this to heat our home through this month and next when necessary? Also since our electric bills are sky high here, Will putting it on auxilary heat pull major juice and cost a million dollars if I turn it on? Should it be on emergency or auxilary? I need heat HELP WE ARE FREEZING

So I am so confused.We just moved from Indiana to central Florida in October. The realtor advised upon move in that homes in this area (Orlando) do not have furnaces for the most part. We do not have a furnace. She claims the AC unit can produce heat? We do however have a fireplace so we thought all was alright. It is in the 30's today and very cold inside. I have been to Walmart and spent a couple hundred dollars on space heaters that are not helping. When we look at the heat on the thermostat it wants you to chose between auxilary heat and emergency heat. My question is, Is that only for like freak weather and emergencies or can I use this to heat our home through this month and next when necessary? Also since our electric bills are sky high here, Will putting it on auxilary heat pull major juice and cost a million dollars if I turn it on? Should it be on emergency or auxilary? I need heat HELP WE ARE FREEZING

Quote Originally Posted by JamieanDarrell View Post
    First things first. It seems you have a heat pump (looks like an A/C; IS an A/C, but is also a heater.) Yes? If so, it should heat your home just fine. Are you using the heat pump? Is your thermostat set properly for heat pump use? It's a much better idea to read the thermostat owner's manual, call a neighbor, or call an HVAC guy than to buy a lot of space heaters which will cost much much more to operate than a heat pump.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieanDarrell View Post
    You replied to a post that is 3 years old.

Maybe you should start your own post

Assuming you have a heat pump:
    Aux heat = heat pump + electric resistance strips in the air handler (as needed).
    Emerg heat = electric resistance strips only, no heat pump.

Electric resistance heat is expensive. Whether running it via electric resistance strips in your air handler, or from the space heaters that you bought at WalMart.

Take care.