Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wow! All good stuff. Appreciate the feedback. Regarding zoning, I did talk to a couple contractors about zoning the upstairs and downstairs. Both indicated it's not worth the $. It was going to be thousands of $. Also, zoning upstairs and downstairs which made the most logical sense would not address the entryway and family room temp. issue which is occurring downstairs. I'll look into the wireless stat. Any names/recommend models would be appreciated. There are definitely not enough ducts feeding the entryway. The current stat is also 6ft. from the input vent. I can feel the air being drawn in when standing next to the stat. I'm sure being close to the vent is not helping things. I'll investigate the wireless option but so far I'm leaning towards moving the stat to the family room. The new stat. location is 20ft. from the heater with one wall to fish new wire from the garage. Total out-of-pocket cost thus far is $5 for 20ft. of wire. Also, the home is located in Northern CA where the temp. rarely drops below 50. The heater is used only 4-5 months throughout the year. Remaining part of the year the heater is off with no A/C. Thanks again.

The thermostat should be near a return.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by MCC88 View Post
    Wow! All good stuff. Appreciate the feedback. Regarding zoning, I did talk to a couple contractors about zoning the upstairs and downstairs. Both indicated it's not worth the $. It was going to be thousands of $. Also, zoning upstairs and downstairs which made the most logical sense would not address the entryway and family room temp. issue which is occurring downstairs. I'll look into the wireless stat. Any names/recommend models would be appreciated. There are definitely not enough ducts feeding the entryway. The current stat is also 6ft. from the input vent. I can feel the air being drawn in when standing next to the stat. I'm sure being close to the vent is not helping things. I'll investigate the wireless option but so far I'm leaning towards moving the stat to the family room. The new stat. location is 20ft. from the heater with one wall to fish new wire from the garage. Total out-of-pocket cost thus far is $5 for 20ft. of wire. Also, the home is located in Northern CA where the temp. rarely drops below 50. The heater is used only 4-5 months throughout the year. Remaining part of the year the heater is off with no A/C. Thanks again.
    The reason they say zoning it's worth it is because they don't know how to install zoning or they don't understand zoning. Believe me, zoning would address all your issues and reduce your utilities 10-15%. You just need to find someone that knows zoning.

Unfortunately, HVAC contractors are doing a great disservice to the customer and their employees by not getting knowledgable on zoning. It fills a void in sales and keeps the guys working. I (used) to sell a lot of zone systems with terrific customer satisfaction.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-11-2013 at 05:41 AM. Reason: non AOP member

homeownerjim

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-18-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: non AOP member

neugebauerjames

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12