Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Relocate thermostat

Our current stat is in the entryway of a 2-story home. Due to the high ceilings the temperature hardly moves. The family room can be up to 10 degrees warmer (I confirmed by taping a therm. to the wall). Basically the heater will run for a very long time without the temp moving 1-2 degrees while the family room is +10 degrees warmer. I'd like to disconnect the stat in the entryway and put a new one in the family room. I removed the cover from my Carrier WeatherMaker 8000 and I found the location where the 2 stat. wires are coming into the heater (other 3 wires are not being used). Question, can I simply run new stat wire from the family room straight to the heater, disconnect the existing wires (R&W) and connect the new wires from the family room? Is the process that simple or am I missing something? Appreciate your assistance. MCC88

its that simple just turn ff the power the heater before you start messing with the wires
    We really need change now

as stated, it is that simple, or should be in theory.

you may run into blockages depending on how/where you plan to run the wires from furnace to stat.

there is another option, new thermostat with remote sensing capabilities.

Good luck!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Gonna be a cold entryway.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Yes, the entryway is the coldest part of the house. I'm sure it's due to the high ceilings. The upstairs temp. mimics the family room more so than the entryway. I'm hoping by relocating the stat the temp will be more balanced between upstairs and downstairs. Appreciate the replies to my original post. The hardest part will be fishing the wire through the walls. Should be a fun way to spend the weekend. Thanks again.

Another product available may be the new wireless thermostats. We've used them by leaving the receiving unit at old location and using wireless stat in whatever area homeowner wants the most comfort in. We had similiar situation, and homeowner wanted newborn baby's room more comfortable, so left stat sitting on dresser top in this room. Worked great!

I inform people that when you move a thermostat to solve a problem in one area, you create a problem in another area. Have you considered zoning? That is the most efficient and sure way to solve the problem.

Most temperature imbalances in different rooms indicate unbalanced or undersized ductwork in under conditioned spaces often made worse by oversized equipment, especially when single stage like that carrier.

Thermostat location is usually the problem just when under or overshooting the entire home.

If one room is 10F warmer than another, it has too mcuh airflow, or the others too little. IN a properly balanced sytem no matter how long the equipment runs, all rooms will heat or cool off evenly. Other than those rooms impacted more by other heat sources (kitchens, bathrooms) and thsoe with lost of diversity from solar gain (west facing rooms).

Poor man zoning... Honeywell Prestige with remote.

X1

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Most temperature imbalances in different rooms indicate unbalanced or undersized ductwork in under conditioned spaces often made worse by oversized equipment, especially when single stage like that carrier.

Thermostat location is usually the problem just when under or overshooting the entire home.

If one room is 10F warmer than another, it has too mcuh airflow, or the others too little. IN a properly balanced sytem no matter how long the equipment runs, all rooms will heat or cool off evenly. Other than those rooms impacted more by other heat sources (kitchens, bathrooms) and thsoe with lost of diversity from solar gain (west facing rooms).

X1........

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-04-2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: non AOP member

KCJN832

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast